1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV - shifting problems

Discussion in 'Tech' started by jmanley, Aug 18, 2009.

1. jmanley

jmanley Well-Known Member

At mid-Ohio and missed 5th gear twice in my last race. Thought it was rider error.

This weekend, it got progressively worse. it wouldn't go into 5th gear at all on one spot on the track. On the backstretch it wnet right into 5th but it wouldn't go into 6th.

I adjusted my clutch and it all is working great. Adjusted my shift lever to get a little more leverage. It absolutely wouldn't go into gear as described above. As it progressively got worse, i had trouble getting it into 3rd coming out of the pits.

So. I put it up on stands and let it idle. i went through the gears like that and it would not go into 6th. After a couple hours of cooling down i tried it again and it went right through all the gears no problem. I had some Valvoline 10W40 motorcycle oil in the bike. i changed the oil to 15W-40 Rotella (i couldn't find the Mobile 1 50W oil like i wanted on short notice around the track).

The next morning i went out with the fresh oil change and in a prolonged session trying various things like short shifting, etc, i had no luck. After about 10 laps it finally clunked into 6th down the backstretch. Then for about 5 laps it ran great. Then it slowly started doing its old routine again.

I parked it and didn't race. I first thought it was something broken, but the way it changed its behavior after cooling down makes me thing otherwise. Thoughts? Anyone else had similar problems like this?

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Tranny Schematic

On the exterior, ensure the shift knuckle is straight up and down, or very close. Check that the circlip is still attached. (#26 on Schematic)

After that, internally you could have a bent shift shaft or fork, a roached gear, or some other insolvable issue from the outside of the motor. Crack it open, and send the tranny for undercutting.

3. racer237

racer237 Well-Known Member

our endurance bike did exactly same thing at miller back in june so we put new clutch in it and it still was having hard time going in and out of gears so we pulled clutchbasket out and found that the shift star had come loose(1 allen head ) was backed out about half way and it would wobble when trying to get it to shift so we tightened it and it fixxed the problem.

4. PAzYearazzUP

PAzYearazzUP Banned

I forget the words to the transmission parts. So, stick with me on this. Say we miss a shift. The parts I can't recall at this time, lets say the dog end is the dick, and the female end is the stick. Go fetch.

So, say the dick hangs out of the stick it in her and you pop out her gash. Say you stick it with a fork and she's done? Get it? How can you keep sticking it inn if you popped out on the bad shiftershittyshifting?

You may have read down to hear you might have bent a fork. If not a fork, forkin' could be the shift-paul bolt is hanging loose an she shifts like shit if I know?

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Actually you don't care if the knuckle is straight up and down. What you do care about is that the angle of the knuckle on the shift shaft and the angle of the pivot point on your rearsets are parallel to each other.

6. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Also, depending on what kind of rearsets you have, make sure your foot peg isn't loose.

7. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

+1 on the shift star