1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Triumph Speed 4 (Need your thoughts)

Discussion in 'General' started by Brigman, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Brigman

Brigman Moto mojo

Anyone out there with a 2003 Triumph Speed 4?

I have a opportunity to get one...and wanted some feedback!

Thanks

2. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

I liked mine

3. There okay bikes, just make sure all warranty updates have been done.

4. Beer Slut

Beer Slut Well-Known Member

I like mine. PM me if you're interested in considering a different one than the one you're looking at. I'm selling my '03.

5. Kaine

Kaine Well-Known Member

Heard nothing but good things about them, and they stand out.

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I rode one twice...super fun streetbike, and capable of track days if you like. the one I rode had about 18,000 miles on it, and had been trouble-free to that point. I think the guy who owned it sold it the next year, so I don't have any other info. I know he really liked it though...bought it new and rode it lots.

7. Beer Slut

Beer Slut Well-Known Member

I actually had one before my current one. I took the first to a trackday at BeaveRun. Completely capable and very fun with no issues.

8. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

Yep, what beer slut and DDT have already said. I have an 03 (in pieces, well some of it at least), the ergos on it and handling are similar to my 03 R6. Granted the R6 has a better suspension but for the street it is more than capable. I got extra wheels as well as many other spares so if you get it and want some stuff let me know and I will let you know what I have.

9. Jesse

Jesse Active Member

IMO, if you are gonna get a Triumph, get a three cylinder model. They sound great and make more torque. A bit more unique too.

That said, quality is good across the brand. It wont be a mistake to get the Speed 4. They shoulda made it as a triple to start, though. They had no business going against the Japanese 4 cyl 600's.

I used to go to this forum for Triumph info and found it pretty reliable http://www.triumphtorque.com/messageboard/ .

10. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

I had one as my second street bike (first was a nina 250), and it was the first bike I took to the track. I bought mine, a 2003 model, brand new. I had to take it back to the dealership repeatedly for oil leaks, pinched cables, and SERIOUS fuel injection problems! At the time, i couldn't decide between an sv and the triumph; I ended up wishing I bought the sv. It rode nice when it worked, but it felt a little heavy, and the front end always felt like it was pushing. I would probably never buy a Triumph again. Just my .02, and you might have a better experience, g/l.

11. Vitabrew

Vitabrew Well-Known Member

I've about 16,000 miles on mine, no mechanical issues, always puts a smile on my face.

12. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

BTW other then a pipe and air filter, leave it stock, for some reason the Speed 4/TT600 doesn't like power commanders and the like.

13. sr9004u

sr9004u Well-Known Member

I had a Speed Four great bike! Great handling good motor.....

I also had a 675 which was the biggest POS Ive ever owned. I should have kept the S4....And not bought the POS 675.

14. Jesse

Jesse Active Member

Interesting report.

I guess opinions vary.

Can you elaborate on the troubles you had with the 675? I've never owned one but have seriously considered it. Ive ridden both the 4 and the 3 and thought the 3 better in most every regard.

I dont have a dog in this fight either way. Just curious.

As I said, i think the 4 is a good bike.

15. GNTurbo6

GNTurbo6 Member

I ride a TT600 which is a faired Speed 4. TT600s had some low end FI issues in their early years but that isn't an issue on the Speed Fours. They're both super reliable bikes and are very comfy. The pegs are a little high and rearward for stock pegs but that isn't an issue for me. It won't quite compete with modern 600cc super sports but I'm not sure if that's what you're looking for. If you want more info I think TriumphRat.net is the best place to go.