1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Roof mount a/c mounting question!!!!!

Discussion in 'General' started by snowman_audio, Jul 19, 2009.

1. snowman_audio

snowman_audio Well-Known Member

Whats up guys. I just picked up a trailer recently and i am looking to add a roof mount a/c. I am looking at a carrier 13.5k btu. I have a 7x14 trailer. I figure this will be more than enough to cool the trailer? My other question is my trailer doesn't have a roof vent/hatch. So do i just cut a hole and use the sealing kit? And i have heard of people bracing the roof to handle the weight. What do i do to do this?

Thanks for the help guys. :beer:

2. Been-Jammin

Been-Jammin Nomonyx dominicus

Cut out the 12x12 (I think) hole and use the seal kit that comes with the carrier.
    Use some 1x4's and make a box around the hole. Make sure it braces the roof well connecting to the sides of the trailer, IIRC the unit weighs 90lbs, don't want that bouncing around.

3. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

I used 1in square aluminum rods (from Lowes) and tied all of the roof rails together.

[​IMG]

4. snowman_audio

Ok that doesn't look to hard to do. How far out do the beams have to extend out? Also i think the ribs or the trailer are stee not aluminum, would that matter on if it had to be re-enforced or not?The carrier band is up to par? Have have been looking around, but haven't found to many reviews on what one is the best.

Also what is with the bungie cord?

5. Been-Jammin

Carrier is one of the best. I've bought mine from http://familyrvparts.com/
    Great to deal with.

6. snowman_audio

LOL they are right down the road. Do they install? If so do you know how much? If not then i believe i can do it myself.

7. njracer

So I can hang my under armour and dry it.:D

8. Been-Jammin

IIRC they are a full service shop. I'd give them a call and ask.

9. snowman_audio

LOL, it looks like it is holding the a/c in place. So who cold does the 13.5k make it in side of an 7x14 trailer?

10. snowman_audio

I will be giving them a call this week. :beer:

11. njracer

Since I insulated the roof, I think my 7x14 stays in the very low 70's running off the generator, a bit cooler off the 30amp electric at the track.

12. snowman_audio

Ok cool, that is what i am looking for. My whole trailer is insulated and it keeps the heat out very well.