Spies to Aprillia? heard it twice now.

Discussion in 'General' started by the muffin man, Jun 25, 2009.

1. caferace

caferace No.

We've forgotten more about racing than we'll ever know.

-jim

2. 92excel

92excel Well-Known Member

Thank you! The little computer thingy should "know"
    what is needed and the humans in the pit should respond accordingly.

3. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

The computer thingy controls tank capacity?

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

he is still bitter about aprilia winning the masterbike title!

5. Stogie

Stogie Banned

ONE mechanical, a broken shifter. Spies smoked the clutch last weekend. I think tank capacity is limited by the rules. Not bitter about anything, no Kool Aid. The Aprilia sucks, it's ugly and Biaggia sucks too.:moon:

6. John29

Is the maximum capacity allowed by the rules the same as standard OEM capacity?

(Yes, this is a trick question.)

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You're right. At the start line, Ben single handedly went into the kit ECU and altered the launch control settings to make sure he fried the clutch. And when Massimo Meregalli said 'We also have some new clutches so Ben should be confident as well!" in the Donington preview, he meant the special kind that has a link to the launch control settings that irresponsible riders can't alter on the start line. On the other race, while clawing his way back to the lead, he opened up his laptop and richened up the mixture to make sure he wasn't carrying around unneeded fuel (assuming you talked to the tank-filler-upper-guy to ask him if he filled it all the way to the top rather than doing a fuel burn analysis and (slightly incorrectly) calculating how much fuel was needed for the race).
    The 'priller ain't that ugly, but, Max is.

8. John29

Average speed at Monza indicates which:
    a. A lot of WFO time
    b. Not a lot of WFO time

WFO time:
    a. Affects fuel consumption
    b. Does not affect fuel consumption

etc.

9. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Based on me walking twice back to the pits from near the kink at Road America I think I'll take Hamburger A in question #2.

When asked I said I had a fuel delivery problem.... NO FUEL TO DELIVER!!

Good evening John... How goes the battle?

10. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Is this taken pass-fail?

11. intrcptrrdr

intrcptrrdr Well-Known Member

ummm...I think I know the answers to The Editor's questions, but I don't want to give away any insider information.

12. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

I hope it's graded on a curve :beer:

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Double-apex or decreasing radius? :beer:

14. caferace

caferace No.

Blind. :D

-jim

15. green lantern

green lantern Well-Known Member

NO NO NO SPIES IS JOINING HIS BUDDY HACKING ON A KAWI NEXT YEAR AND THEN KAWI WILL RULE THE WORLD AGAIN WITH THE REAL BIG BANG MOTOR IN 2010

Thursday, April 2, 2009
    Hint on upcoming 2010 Kawasaki ZX10R
    Kawasaki recently filed patents for an in line four cylinder motorcycle engine with an uneven firing order. While similar to the design from Yamaha in the latest R1, the Kawasaki engine design steps things up a bit by adding some electronics to aid the uneven firing order.

The Kawasaki design would traditionally have had problems, in that the radical nature of the firing order would have made the engine incapable of running at low RPM, due to a lack of momentum in the crank on the long 540° revolution. The second problem would have been the requirement for a very heavy and almost impractical crankshaft, which would have made the engine slow to rev, and would have limited high end RPM.

Kawasaki have solved these problems by using clever electronics. An electric motor operates only on every second revolution, during the compression stroke, and only on cylinders one and four. This tiny electric motor operates only long enough for the motor to gain momentum, and then switches off again. Engine sensors are used to monitor crank angle, degree of throttle opening, vehicle speed and gear position. The new electric motor will also be used as a generator to charge the battery when it's not boosting the crank, and that means it can do the job of the traditional alternator too.

What does this all mean? Well to you and me, probably nothing other than a bike that sounds like the Yamaha M1, but if you are a really good rider, you will now be getting more traction and therefore better feedback from the rear tyre under acceleration, meaning faster corner exits, and ultimately better drive out of corners which means better speed down straits and hopefully an advantage for the green team (and don't they need one right now?)

The radical 540° gap in the firing order is double the gap that the new R1 uses, and means that the ZX-10R motor turns a full one and a half revolutions without any cylinders firing. The gap in the R1 firing order is only 270° which in itself was considered rather long.

However the most significant benefits from the Kawasaki design are that the crankshaft retains the natural balance as found in a traditional (screamer) in line four. This in effect reduces production costs, improves reliability, and also enables the normal high rev limit found in screamer engines, which means that the peak power output will not be adversely affected.

It seems like next year the major brands will all be making V4's or 'Big Bangs' if they want to stay competitive. Aprilia have already gone the V4 route, so we still need to find out what Suzuki & Honda have planned. Honda could easily build a V4, and Suzuki have the GSVR in MOTOGP which is a V4, so they know how to do it too. It looks like 2010 is going to be another one of those years with amazing technology coming to the consumers because of racing...

Source
    Posted by 300kmj at 1:35 PM

16. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Again? Wouldn't they have to do it a first time to have an again?

17. TrackStar

TrackStar www.trackstar1.com

I'll stay out as I have the rulebook right here.

I think the issue is that Yamaha put the fuel fill on the wrong end of the bike. Also it was the heaviest bike we weighed all weekend by a significant margin. 10 kilo's heavier than some of the bikes after the race.

Working with Aprilia on a teardown I will say they have some seriously trick shit on that bike. Give em a year or 2 of development and look out!

18. zx9r_blue

zx9r_blue Member

Scott Russell won the WSBK championship in 1993 on the ZX7r with 5 wins.:up:

19. green lantern

green lantern Well-Known Member

thank you

20. Vitamin-E

Vitamin-E cornerin lo in the 3-1-fo

I thought someone said he didn't want anymore mechanical problems...?