Replace AMB battery?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Angel, Oct 23, 2008.

1. bigfix

bigfix Transponder Services

Direct powering AMB transponders

Clem
    Your ideas are good, but not really viable.
    The transponder has a power management system and if you attempt to power it externally it thinks you are trying to charge it so it goes into charge mode.
    AMB do make DP (direct powered) versions but I feel that it is more reliable for the transponder to be self powered, rather than rely on external power which could be interrupted causing loss of laps counted.

If conversion to external power could be done then I would offer conversion as an additional service.

The other idea was at the same time I fit a new battery I modify it to enable the transponder owner to be able to easily replace the battery themselves.
    Hence making future battery replacement very cheap, quick and easy.
    However, the reality is that if this is done then the reliability of the transponder is compromised and could fail or work intermittently.
    I decided that this risk was not worth it because what if a modified transponder failed in a race and caused you to have laps not counted? The value of the few dollars saved would shrivel to nothing.
    So I abandoned that idea and stick with re-sealing the transponder to original specs to ensure the reliability is not compromised.

Best regards
    Jeff Chandler
    Transponder Services
    www.transponderservices.com

2. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Just bought a used one so thanks for the info Mr. Transponder Battery Replacer Guy. A real American hero!........... Correction Aussie hero.

3. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

^^ ditto to pucksdown- i will keep these issues in mind with my new-to-me (used) transponder. If it fails it will go straight to Oz 4sure.

4. Clem

Clem Changin' My Latitude

A charge/run switch would get around the first issue, adds complexity slightly though...

+1 on the second, hardwired and potted is the way to go if reliability and durability are primary considerations. You'd just have people complaining that they lost their battery in a simple lowside:)

I've opened and repaired industrial stuff like this, in the field, major PITA. Mine will be taking a vacation in AUS when the time comes:beer:

5. Can-am

Can-am Well-Known Member

I was part of the vintage "show" at the AMA pro round at Road Atlanta on April 17. I wanted to run my transponder on the vintage laps, but it would not take a charge. It had last been charged in December, 2009 for a Bargy track day at Tally. So the next week I took the transponder to AMB and they tested the battery. It was dead.
    Then they gave me the bad news: 1) the batteries were not replaceable; 2) the units could not be opened or repaired; 3) since mine was purchased in 2005 a few month less than 5 years ago they could give me a 20% pro-rated warranty on a new one; and 4) it would be $350! I only paid $250 in 2005.
    I was stunned. I took it home and found this thread. I sent the unit to Jeff Chandler in Australia. About a week later I got a response from him and a diagnosis (battery was dead). He requested a paypal payment and promised a quick repair. About a week later I got a scanned image of a shipping document. Yesterday the transponder arrived. I charged it overnight and today it makes 3 green flashes.
    As near as I can tell, it is repaired as promised. Total cost was about $90 and total time was about 3 weeks. It sure beats $350 for a new one.

6. bigfix

bigfix Transponder Services

Thank you

Thank you Can-am for your favourable report on my services and glad you are happy with the job.

Here is the link to my website so others can find me if they wish to have their AMB transponder battery replaced. www.tranponderservices.com

Tip for owners of all AMB/MYLaps TranX 160 or 260 transponders:
    Fully charge the transponder once per month.
    This will assist in preventing the battery having a premature death.
    The battery is a Ni-Mh type and prefers this, rather than being left unused for long periods.

Good luck racing!

best regards
    Jeff
    Transponder Services