1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun show this weekend, I wanna snub nose. .38spl or .357?

Discussion in 'General' started by ThrottleJock, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

yes, the 29 is the .40. I have the 28 which is a 9mm

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Cool. What a 29 cost these days?

3. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Glocks are all about the same, ball park of $500-$550 give or take a few bucks

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Cool. I haven't shopped or priced any in quite awhile.

Does anyone else make a decent compact similar to the Glock 29? I don't care about it being polymer or not.

5. duggram

duggram Sunrise Bahia de LA

The OP never said anything about shooting at cars or humans. He talked about mountain biking etc. Although, I do pitty you folks that have to worry about shooting at cars and humans. If we are talking about hiking, biking, being out in mother nature, the 44 mag is a very reasonable round. I've had my current 44 mag stainless steel revolver for more than 25 years. Before that I used one of those 6' barreled 357 Rugers. Personally I believe they shot the same as far as comfort is concerned.

At 25 yds they were similar in shot placement too. 25 yds is a good distance because I'm not going to shoot in earnest at a charging grizzly, or anything else at more than that.

You can also cut down on recoil by shooting lighter bullets. There are 44 mag 180 gr hollow points that you can get now, which is what I've started carrying. This is one sweet round. Good penetration and leaves a blood trail you can follow at night (although I certainly hope no one has too).

I find it really hard to believe that someone who road races motorcycles can't handle a 44 mag. But current day standards they are not the big gun (think 50 cal). You can even get them in a semi-auto if you don't like a revolver.

We all have different experiences. I'm not sure what yours is but you talk like an expert. I've only carried pistols as backup for almost 40 years in Alaska, all of the time in Grizzly country. I'm sure your word is good for what ever you experience is. But for me I sure as hell wouldn't follow what you say.

Now if I were going to look for a personal protection pistol for gangland, I 'd buy an Uzi. But then I sleep with my 12 ga slug gun and 0 buckshot under the bed.

6. Captain Squid

H&K does, but they are pricey......they have the P30(9mm, I have one :D) the HK45 and then their usp models, they offer compacts in each i think.

i'm sure other manufactures do as well, but I haven't looked in a while cause if I go to the gun store to look, bad things happen and I come out broke :D

And if you decide on a glock, I would stay away from any ambi release they have. I have a glock 21sf with the ambi release that I haven't had for about 3-4 months now cause it's been back and forth between me and glock, and now I am waiting on them to replace the gun with a new one, standard release. I started a thread on it if you want to seach.

7. Strick

Strick Good to be king

S&W M&P or a Springfield XD compact would be a good choice. Plenty of other compact choices out their from striker fired to 1911's, just get what feels good.

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

A friend of mine just bought a new S&W .40. Not a compact but it's a polymer pistol that is really nice.

The owner of my company has a .45 cal Springfield(IIRC) that is an excellent gun. Not really a compact but a quality pistol for a great price.

I'll have to check out their compacts. :up:

9. MrStinky

MrStinky causin' a stink

I've been looking as well, and the H&K p30 would be my choice by far. The grip is great and its ergonomic design feels right in your hand. Bit more price 750-850 range. I think the best bang for the buck is the SA xd or xdm. I'm not sure if they make the xdm in a compact yet ~$500+.

10. Captain Squid

Damn,t hey've com down. I paid over $900 for my P30 when it first came out. i really want an HK45 and am still thinking about selling or trading in my glock when I get it back towards one

11. WERA82

WERA82 Infidel, phone ringing...

Well, the OP stated in post #4 that it was principally for urban biking and protection against dangerous perpetrators. Hman sounds on the mark to me.

Man, some of you guys need to take some defensive shooting courses to learn how to USE your weapons and learn the pros and cons for each one in real life type situations. Just carrying it isn't enough. If you are depending on just presenting your big caliber gun to save your life, you're in trouble!

12. Captain Squid

^^^^ Only time it should come out is if you are 100% sure you have to defend yourself (ie, shoot someone)

13. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Hey, who you callin' a sissy boy? :Poke::Poke:

Hahahaa, just kidding says the sissy boy in tights.

14. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

I see recommendations for Glocks and XD's. I also see mention of Fanny Pack carry.

I would not personally put a pistol with no safety into a fanny pack for carry. Nor would I carry a single action pistol cocked and locked in a fanny pack.

In a fanny pack my opinion is the only safe way to carry would be in condition 3 with either a striker fired weapon or a single action.

In condition 3 your ability to actually put the weapon into action would be compromised.

I think you're best served with a double action revolver or pistol. If revolver, I would consider concealed hammer to ensure a snag free draw from the fanny pack.

Almost takes you back to your P3AT in hard chrome to avoid rust.;)

15. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Yep, that's what I'm thinking - a double action hammerless revolver. It needs to be a very basic tool because it will suffer the elements from sweat to mud/sand/rain, and it needs to be safe enough to drop or even crash on. Revolvers work in some pretty terrible conditions, and a long pull double action hammerless revolver could be used as a hammer without going off, that's why I feel like it makes the most sense for this particular application.

Keep coming back to the Ruger LCR with a +P load, or maybe one of the airweight/titanium models in either caliber. The LCR has been getting really nice reviews, and they're inexpensive. Ability to run a .357 round would be nice though. It'll probably come down to what I fall in love with at the show. Who am I kidding

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Thtop it!:p

Yep indeed a fanny pack when I'm on the bicycle. On the motorbike I just go IWB. Something to think about for riding and carrying. Many of these small revolvers and pocket guns will not have room in the trigger guard for gloved fingers.

17. Rich SmithMoore

Rich SmithMoore Well-Known Member

Yeah that's a problem. Especially for extended practice. Boom/ouch, boom/ouch, boom/bleed.........:mad:

18. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

19. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

I like this for personal carry, and the crimson trace grips work very, very well.

http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/...oreId=10001&productId=14763&langId=-1&parent_
    category_rn=15704&isFirearm=Y

At seven yards, I was able to group three shots touching each other using only the laser. The iron sights are about worthless, however, as the rear sight not so defined.

Size-wise, the gun will fit in your jeans or khaki's front pocket and isn't uncomfortable in an inside the belt holster, even when sitting.

Obviously, any carry gun is a tradeoff between comfort and performance, and I side toward safety, concealment and comfort in lieu of actual terminal ballistics. Your mileage may vary.

20. lizard84

lizard84 My “fuck it” list is lengthy

Kahr MK40

Its very small but weighs 22 oz, its very easy to conceal but the weight makes it a pleasure to shoot often. That more then anything will let you trust your carry piece.

http://kahr.com/PA-1B/handguns102799.html

And by the by, its a 5 +1 but other longer mags from larger Kahr's work for more capacity

Last edited: Jun 12, 2009