opinions on EZ ups ?

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by VolvoWrench, May 30, 2009.

1. DaveB

DaveB Just Riding Around

Yep, First Up brand. Cheap enough that if it gets damaged no big deal. I did lose one at Barber last year but the wind was bad enough that it blew bikes off stands so I consider that to be extreme.

2. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

Caravan at Costco. Very good quality, wish it was a dark color as opposed to white, but it has served me well for many years. I think they are still just under $200. It came with three side walls as well.

3. Dr.K

Dr.K Well-Known Member

Anyone seen that color makes a difference in shading, white, tan or blue?

4. VolvoWrench

VolvoWrench I'm just here to buy

5. Derrick1

Derrick1 Well-Known Member

I bought a Quest from Dick's Sporting Goods and used it at little Tally so far, it worked great.

I have a question though...as flimsy as we all know these things are why does everyone who comes over to your pit want to hang on the darn thing??

6. fishguts

fishguts Well-Known Member

I've heard these stand up really good in the wind.

7. pjdoran

pjdoran Well-Known Member

My Caravan has survived some pretty severe wind. As long as you anchor it down securely it is solid in 25 mph wind. I tie at least half of it to my truck whenever possible.

Key feature of this and any of the better models is vertical legs. You can load weight on them that would buckle the kicked out leg types.

8. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

i've been looking at one of these as well. great for a one bike pit to not have 2 ezups. just curious how it will hold up in the wind with the awnings. up or down they will increase wind resistance and add lift.

9. Capt Home Slice

Capt Home Slice Well-Known Member

I've got a First Up 10x10. Had it for a few years, works great. Three pieces of the framwork have broken from the wind but if you're handy with tools they're easy to fix. I use a 15" piece of metal and slide it into the broken frame tube 7.5" on either side of the break, put it back together, fasten with some bolts and its good to go.

10. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

As far as standing up in the wind. (Caravan) Absolutly, It survived a couple of seasons at Willow Springs no problem. Everyone that has raced at Willow regularly knows that wind everywhere else is just pussy wind. Except for that tornado stuff. I didn't like the white color because it gets dirty so quickly and is hard to clean effectively.

11. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

12. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I likes those...

13. maxleanangle

maxleanangle Well-Known Member

Between my buddy and I we had three canopies at Barber Sunday - an EZ-up, a FirstUp, and an EZ-up frame with a FirstUp top on it. A few observations after the nasty 3-hour rain and winds we had Sunday

- Both frames held up reasonably well in the winds. Unfortunately several Quikshade and similar canopies with lighter frames ended up in the trash Sunday.

- EZ-up stayed dry underneath, not-so-much for both the FirstUp tops. The seams were leaking on both FirstUps. I will be applying much Scotchguard to the FirstUps (especially the seams near the top) and hope that it keeps us dry next time.

- There is something about the way the FirstUp frame collapses that pinches the top and pokes little holes in it. I have not had this issue with my EZ-up nor with my EZ-up frame with the FirstUp top on it. I believe the FirstUp instructions call for you to remove the top for transport/storage. Now I know why.

Hope this helps :beer:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2009
  14. Paz

Paz Well-Known Member

I have had EZups and now have a Quick Shade 'Summit' series with the vented top. It lets alot of the wind get out from under the canopy when storms blow in. It was a little pricey but it definitely has been put to the test (last weekend at Barber especially) without any damage. I bought mine at sports authority where they run sales pretty regular.

15. vtwin

vtwin Member

After dumping my POS Mac Pop-Up to the trash can half way on my last track day (bought $70 on sale from Murray's).
    I am going with EZup this time, yea it costs 3 times more but I figure it will be worth the invest for a long run.

16. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I like them...

17. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

I got the wind-resistant EZ-UP Dome model for use here in the windy high desert. A dust devil got hold of it and destroyed it when I didn't have it secured properly.

That night I bought the China-Mart First Up canopy, which was kinda nice because it was bigger. I secured it properly. That piece of shit was bent by the wind, not picked up and tossed by a gust or dust devil, it just couldn't stand up to the regular wind.

I got a second EZ-UP Dome, with sandbag attachments for the legs. I attach it to my truck in the back, sometimes also with the track's provided concrete weights, and use sandbags on the front legs. It's not going anywhere. The side flap does tend to flap around in the wind and make a lot of noise, though.

18. YZROOSTINYA

YZROOSTINYA Well-Known Member

firt ups are the shit

they dont hold water like the ez - ups.

there were $100 when I got mine 2 years agao. Theink there 89 now

Plus there about 10 times fatser to put up and down than the ez ups