1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone have extra F2 brake calipers?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by rk97, Mar 30, 2009.

1. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

my damn pad-pin covers are stuck beyond stuck. Anyone have complete calipers they can part with cheap? (~$50)

I have new pads sitting in the garage, so I don't care if the pads are spent.

or if someone knows of an inventive way to un-stick the covers that would work too. I was tempted to drill them out and look for the plugs only, but that seems like a total last resort...

Thanks,

- Chris

2. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

An 1/8'' easy-out works great at getting them out. Make sure you use anti-seize next time and don't over tighten them.

3. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

thanks - i may give that a try. the previous owner tightened them, and I don't know what he was thinking... I am going to try some liquid wrench, I just don't want to get that stuff on any of hte rubber seals.

4. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

They are always hard to get out due to the heat generated by the brakes. I doubt the PO over tightened them, I usually have to hammer on my screw driver a couple of times to break them loose when it's time to change pads. Make sure you're using the right size screwdriver (biggest and squarest flat blade you have) and put as much weight behind it as you can when you're trying to break them loose. If your really stuck and need some I have some calipers I'll trade you for your stuck ones.

5. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

RK, by pad-pin covers, do you mean the small threaded plug that is screwed over the brake pad pins to prevent them from backing out? If so, then after you get them off, don't replace 'em.

Instead, drill a small hole near the lip of the well that they screw in to and run a small loop of safety wire in the hole. It should look like an earring. It doesn't have to cross the opening. Just that bit of safety wire will stop the brake pad pin from completely backing out. :beer:

I wish I could lay claim to being bright enough tho have thought this up myself, but Sauce showed it to me :up:

Lemme know if you do want replacement calipers though. I believe I have a spare set in my garage.

6. kjohnson

kjohnson Axis

I know I have some in here somewhere.Hollah if you need them

7. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

yeah, I've got a set too. send me a PM if you need them and I'll check my basement.

8. forlorn

forlorn Well-Known Member

PB Blaster, and let it sit for a few hours.

9. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

PB Blaster is great stuff. But if that fails, just drill the little plugs to bits. Ya won't need to replace 'em (if you do the safety wire thing).

10. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

Tell him H

11. F2RGK

F2RGK Smack Talker, but Nice!

Ever here of using an Impact Driver and some light heat? Then follow H's idea. :beer:

12. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me. I replaced them with a used set I found. I have a set I removed if you need them. Right caliper cap stuck, left is free.

13. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

What side do you need? I had 1 side totally freeze up on me too, but I think the other caliper is fine. I have to go look.

14. Dissevered

Dissevered Well-Known Member

tried this on my calipers and it didn't do anything. I had to find used ones... found a pair on ebay for like 30 bucks so it wasn't a big deal.