2nd Gen SV650 Temp Gauge

Discussion in 'Tech' started by CuStOm, Mar 20, 2009.

1. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

I am contemplating getting rid of the stock tach/gauge assembly and throwing on a Athon Starlane. The only issue is that I would like to keep a water temp gauge. Does anyone know of a gauge that would be compatible with the stock sending unit and wiring (Splicing it into the stock harness in the nose of course...)?

Thanks!
    :beer:

2. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

Get yourself a Daytona Gauge and the sensor goes in place of the stock sensor on the thermostat housing. 10 minute install and works just fine.

3. CuStOm

CuStOm OMRRA Racer

Thanks for the heads up. If the sender is a direct screw in then that will work. I just did not want to retrofit or adapt the threads.

4. Hawk413

Hawk413 Well-Known Member

Doesn't the ECU use the temp sensor for mixture mapping?

5. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

It uses a temp gauge in the air box, not water temp.

6. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

It probably looks at water temp though too for when the engine is cold and it has to turn the "choke" on.
    My first gen has two sensors, one at the thermostat and one in the radiator. The one in the thermostat was for the gage and the one at the radiaotor was to turn the fan on.

7. Hawk413

Hawk413 Well-Known Member

Alan, have you actually run your second gen without the ECT sensor and had it work out? I ask because if this works I would like to install a Daytona gauge in my second gen but I thought the ECT was required for the mixture.