Frame sliders or no

Discussion in 'General' started by 2006Gixxer-gran, May 20, 2009.

1. 2006Gixxer-gran

2006Gixxer-gran Active Member

I am puttin my bike together for my first track day do i need to take my frame sliders off or cut them down or just keep them on

2. Roosell

Roosell It's just as I suspected

Are they polyurethane, or do you have metal / chrome sliders?

3. 2006Gixxer-gran

there polyurethane

4. Roosell

I'd say leave them on. Sliders might catch in the grass and help a bike tumble if you go down, but so could other parts of the bike. If you were to have a mild low-side, they might be worthwhile and protect some parts.

5. Bad Dog

Bad Dog Well-Known Member

Leave them alone. :up:

6. Stavesacre

Stavesacre Well-Known Member

I'd leave them on. Mine did great when I laid my bike down.....until it hit the grass and started tumbling.

7. 2006Gixxer-gran

yea i don't want it to hit the grass and start tumbling that's why i was thanking about cutting them down some to maybe take the impact so it might not mess noting else up

8. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

cutting them down might not be a bad idea

I used the 4 inch ones for a while--wont do that again

9. 03cobra

03cobra Member

i would say depends on the bike.

In my 06 gsxr 1000 they bolt into the motor and cylinder head. I lowsided and it pulled the threads out the head.

10. 2006Gixxer-gran

oh wow i might cut them down or take them off then cause that's what i have is a 06 gsxr 1000 i cant really decide what i wanna do with them cutting them off seems to me like a good idea just so i have some support beind the body work to take impact. This is my first track day so i am going in blind lol at least i have race body work

11. Roosell

Best thing I can tell you is DON'T crash. If this is your first time on the track, leave the ego at home, listen to the instructors, keep the ego under control, and you won't test the sliders.:up: Day-one is just the beginning of a long development process.

12. 2006Gixxer-gran

yea i am going to take it easy my first day but lets just hope i do good LOL

13. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

We say take the off for the track. They cause more damage than they prevent. The always make the bike dig in and then cart wheel.:down:

14. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Ive had frame sliders break my frame... i'll never have another frame slider on a bike, ever.

15. S4Alex

S4Alex Well-Known Member

From my recent low slide.. I say FRACK frame sliders. They do more damage than good. If its your street bike at the track (for a trackday), they you have insurance.

If its a dedicated track bike, then you sholdnt have em.

I slid on the hard stuff.. great ... then I hit the dirt... not so great... reference my avatar.

none of my bikes will have frame sliders again.

16. 2006Gixxer-gran

haha ok thanks guys but what do you thank about cutting them down to where there even with the body work that way they take a lil bit of the hit if i do happen to go down i not worried about the body work cause its race farings just dont wanna mess up the frame

17. Spooner

Spooner Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what sliders you are using too. I have used Woodcraft for 5 years and they have never bent one or damaged the frame or motor on a few different model of bikes. They have certainly helped more than they have hurt, plus the shape of them doesn't grab the dirt when it exits the track. I know my lowside a few weeks back I was very happy to have them on as I didn't even get a scratch in my upper or lower, just the tail a little bit. Problem is, every crash is different, but like mentioned, there really isn't much of a reason to be falling down at a trackday.