Case Covers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Racer9, May 17, 2009.

1. Racer9

Racer9 Well-Known Member

I'm going to be installing some Vortex case covers on my 06 R6 in a few days and wanted to know if I need to drain the oil prior to removing the OEM covers.

Thanks!

2. coturi

coturi Well-Known Member

Yes that or get ready for a mess.

3. Dug2

Dug2 Well-Known Member

^ wat he said. also, i hope you have new gaskets.
    dont forget the torque specs from your manual.

4. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Or you can just lean the bike over alittle, with the end of the bars securely against a wall....and not drain the oil, but if it is time for an oil change anyway drain it.

5. Racer9

Racer9 Well-Known Member

Do the Vortex covers come with new gaskets?

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

No, they don't. Be careful removing the stock ones and you might be able to get away with reusing them - I reused mine, but the bike had a total of 0.7mi on it when I switched 'em out.

You don't need to drain the oil if you don't want to, just lay the bike on its side, on some sort of padding so you don't screw up the nice-looking parts.

7. Racer9

Racer9 Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for the info.

I'll use the old gaskets if possible, but I'd definitely like to have a set on-hand in case they're no good.

Anyone know the PN's for the left and right gaskets and an online source to get them?

By the way, is the oil going to spew out on the right side too if the bike is upright or do I need to lean the bike on that side too?

8. chickenstrips

chickenstrips Active Member

the vortex covers do come with gaskets. i had to reuse the ones they gave me because the slider bolts werent tightened down and i was leaking oil. i just added some yamabound on the gasket surfaces to seal it up. it is holding pretty steady for now. but as soon as my new gasket comes in i will switch it out again.

9. chickenstrips

chickenstrips Active Member

..........wait never mined i have woodcraft covers and yes i swapped out the oil but i wont next time