1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

anyone break their ribs before?

Discussion in 'General' started by mattbnj, May 15, 2009.

1. mattbnj

mattbnj Well-Known Member

Just broke mine on Monday and it still hurts pretty good.

Question - any recommendations regarding recovery?

Question 2 - any recommendation on a race "vest" that helps protect the rib area?

Thanks

2. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Not broken, but separated. All I can remember is Pain.

Sorry to hear but all I can suggest is shallow breathing and calculated movements.

3. mattbnj

man you ain't kidding about the calculated moves. If i turn or twist the wrong way it's utter agony.

4. MV

MV Well-Known Member

I broke my breast bone. Only hurts when you breath. You'll feel better in 13 days

5. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

Yeah, a lot...There's not much you or anyone else can do for ribs. Give 'em six weeks, after the first couple it's not so bad...Avoid sneezing and laughing, but you already knew that...Everybody advises against wrapping for fear of pneumonia, if you do go that route during the day (helps with the pain or if you decide to ride) just lose the wrap every hour or so and do some deep breathing exercises, clear the lungs out. That's about all I can think of.

I'll defer to some of the other guys here on protective equipment. Some guys swear by chest protectors, I have never used one, I'm a luddite.

6. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Yes, nearly all of them at one time, along with my sternum and collarbone, and your only option is to sit around and wait for them to heal. Worst few months of my life.

7. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Broke three of them a couple years ago. I can still feel it once in awhile as one rib was broken in two places and didn't go back together. I taped them up and raced the next day, not much you can do but grin and bear it. It'll hurt for awhile, good luck. :)

8. joec

joec brace yourself

Avoid the hiccups!!!

9. Jason Coleman

Jason Coleman Well-Known Member

Broke mine the first time because of a chest protector (dirt bike crash). Broke three and it hurt like crazy for about two days and then just a dull pain for about three weeks. Every once in a while, if felt like I was cracking something if I got out of bed quickly. This was also where the pain was most evident - getting in and out of bed. No recommendations on a race vest to help, but I can tell you to avoid crawling through any windows for a while. I crawled through a window about four months later and re-broke two of the ribs. :crackup: Save the pain pills for later use. :up:

10. mattbnj

thanks guys.

i have been sleeping on the couch for the past few nights because getting in and out of bed was murder.

Anyone here a weightlifter? Just curious how long you had to wait before you could get back to training

11. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

:crackup: Man, I am glad I didn't read that with broken ribs!

12. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

yep, friggin hurts, broken wrists, fingers ribs

13. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Separated a bunch once. Sneezing is to be avoided at all costs.

14. mattbnj

sneezing is most definitely not an option

15. Mblashfield

Mblashfield Well-Known Member

I have broken ribs several times, once with punctured lung. Make sure you see a doc to rule this out. I had bruising from my armpit to my thigh one time. Broke 4 one time and 3 the other. You're looking at 5-6 weeks minimum in most cases. I was powerlifting at the time of one crash. 6 weeks. Quite a few muscle groups connect to the ribs, muscles you use for just about every motion. You could probably do seated leg work if you didnt breathe too heavily.

Stay away from pepper and the comedy channel.....

16. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

Broke 2 about 3 months ago, tucked the front on my street bike in some sand and hit the ground like a ton of bricks. Had to "walk it off" because at the time I had no health insurance coverage and didn't want the wife to know. Sneezing and coughing will be very painful for about a month, regular breathing will be comfortable again in 2 weeks or so. You should sleep on your injured side, I don't understand the logic but that's what a doc friend says, and you need to take the deepest breath you can periodically, every half hour or so, as often as you can stand it so your lung capacity isn't atrophied or some shit.

Ibuprofen doesn't do shit. Good luck, ride it out man!

I was able to get back to pushups in 6 weeks, light weight training in 2 months. I still wouldn't want to go heavy, I get occasional pain around my breastbone especially in the mornings after I sleep on the rickety ass ribcage.

17. Linker48X

Linker48X Well-Known Member

Yup, no relief, just hurts til it heals. I broke some long ago in motocross and kept riding in the dez, wore two kidney belts one above the other to brace things and I stood up all the time. To get out of bed I had to grab my hair with my hand and lift, to take the pressure off my chest. Make 100% sure the lung isn't punctured.

18. NJGSXR1k

NJGSXR1k Well-Known Member

In about 2 weeks you will start to feel ok. Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT think you can just let out a big sneeze. Give that a good 3-5 weeks before you even think about sneezing normal. If you have to sneeze, squeeze yourself to stop your rib cage expanding as much as possible.

19. mattbnj

thanks.

docs cleared me of any puncture.

I had to chuckle when i read one guy used his own hair to pull himself out of bed. It is ridiculous how hard it is to get up once you're laying down.

Man this sport is rough mistress!

20. ThrottleJock

ThrottleJock Has been/Never was

I did that sneezing/coughing thing for weeks without letting my wife know. That sucked. I was getting to the point where I'd get up and go outside when I felt a sneeze coming so I could scream in "private".