Question on tires.

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by mattjmartin, May 13, 2009.

1. mattjmartin

mattjmartin Well-Known Member

Okay, I need some quick advice. I am going to be heading out to my third trackday on the 31st. I will be on an SV that will be a full time track bike by then (read: no street riding EVER) and will be needing to pick up some tires.

Being a broke college student, I have been scouring for deals.

So, with that in mind, help me choose between 2 different sets I have leads on...

Set 1 is a BRAND NEW set of Michelin Slicks, Medium front and Hard rear, for $200. Never mounted, not very old, stored inside.

Set 2 is a set of Pilot Races medium/soft compounds that have 1 track day on them without warmers for $220

I will have warmers as well. I plan on running many more trackdays this summer.

2. bEeR

bEeR Hookers & Blow

I'd go for the slicks.

3. madboosties

madboosties Well-Known Member

^+1, and that hard compound will last awhile which is good for someone on a budget.

4. pucksdown

pucksdown WERA #9

Slicks if that is all you know about the tires.

5. mattjmartin

What do you mean? I'm new to the sport so I am still learning.

6. seven158

seven158 Well-Known Member

i think he means that because the slicks are new, you know they don't have any wear on them. the PR's have been used, so you can never be too sure about their condition.

7. hank748

hank748 Well-Known Member

Just don't run the slicks if it's raining....:D

8. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Slicks...get And sell the races for rains just in case...

9. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

New Slicks!

However, Michelin hasn't imported an SV-sized rear slick in years. They have 180-sized slicks, "18/67," for 5.5" to 6.0" rear wheels. You'd better be sure exactly what you are getting.

10. mattjmartin

hmmm... interesting. The tire dude at my last trackday was even selling the exact tires I am looking at. 120/60 front and 160/63 rear. Med. Front and hard rear as mentioned. The rep i talked to said they sell to 250cc guys. lol.

I'll be sure and ask.

As for rains, I have some dunlop roadsmarts that while not AMAZING in rain, will be mounted and on hand just in case I feel like playing. :up:

11. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Shit, if I coulda got $220 out of my race take offs I'd still be racing! Of those choices, get the slicks, but takeoffs should be a lot less and that med/hard combo wouldn't be my first choice. Being your 3rd trackday, it really shouldn't matter unless you're a real fast learner- buy whatever you feel most confident with.

12. mattjmartin

The guy selling the take-offs is part of a local group. The track vendor had no pilot races in a 180 so he bought the 120/160 combo and ran them on his Daytona for 3 sessions. Now he is selling them for $220. Seems kinda steep but at the same time, they should be in really good condition. He has had them stored for 2 years inside his house.

13. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

Check out this post about old Michelin 16/62 and 16/63 rear slicks.

The $220 take-offs isn't a good deal. I've got some more recent B'stone medium slicks for half that price, if your rear wheel is wide enough for a 165.

As for compounds, I ride the Michelin "Medium Soft" front and what is now considered a hard rear on my 600 and they work great for trackdays. The hardest endurance slick is still gonna stick better than a street tire, right?

Last edited: May 13, 2009
  14. Tristan

They sat for 2 years *after* being used for a day or before? If after, I'd definitely stay away. The 'stone 165 slicks work well on the stock SV rim if you can find some.

15. Tristan

I just checked, and for $240 or less you can get some new, FRESH BT16's. I'd get something like those for trackdays.

16. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Why not a BRAND NEW set of Michelin race tires from www.sportbiketireservice.com for $250 delivered to your house? I'll sell ya a 120/70 Med-Soft and a 160/60 Medium for $250... Email me [email protected] if ya want the hook-up on new instead of old used stuff.

17. mattjmartin

So those slicks I mentioned are at least 5 years old? wow.

Where can I find said prices?

Would the deal get even sweeter if I purchased a set of warmers as well? ;):up:

18. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

I'm guessing yes........

19. Yard Sale

Yard Sale premix huffer

It's not the end of the world. You just need to be a fully informed consumer.

I rode Saturday on an old Michelin 16/63 slick take-off. I was just breaking in a new motor and testing new forks but I did one session where I got on it. I would use them for trackdays if I could get them cheap.

20. mattjmartin

That is kinda what I was hoping to hear. I think I am going to go for them. They are actually a Medium front and "Summer Durable" rear as quoted from Michelin.