Too much BS on BBS, What about the art of racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by MarkReeser516, Jan 5, 2003.

1. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

David, no personal attack on you just having some fun since Huffdaddy brought out the statistic book. I'll let it rest, you know the importance of finishing even if it doesn't mean a win.

For everyone else don't let determination overcome talent & skill.

2. dav612

dav612 Well-Known Member

I know, I just want to win. See ya at the track.:D

3. slow rider

slow rider Well-Known Member

Thank you for your insight oh noble one. I wish that I had the talent to read anothers mind. This is my own theory. My world may differ from yours. I am not attempting to change your view, nor should you reciprocate a misinterpreted challenge. I was seeking personal opinions on the other side of racing. No need to assume what you sure as hell don't know, especially my reasoning. Do you know what all of these students have learned in their lives and how they went about learning it? How do you know if the poor student was distracted due to circumstances out of his control. Your controls will not function as well without having a clear vision. Maybe the ones with clearer vision and more conscious awareness are the top of the class. This can all be taught. If you don't know how aware your student are then you probably can't make an assumption on their capabilities to understand. Some have more opportunity, some have different physical characteristics, but most are born with capabilities to achieve greatness. The tools are there. If one is not taught properly how to harness their potential, they are certainly destine to fail.
    The idea was not to blame others for failure, but understanding my own fault for not seizing moments of opportunity. We have been instructed our whole lives, that we can achieve anything if we put our minds to it! Are you prepared to disprove that theory also. Sorry, but I will never stop asking why. I do enjoy the contemplation you envoke though.

4. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Wasn't trying to get philosophical with you or challenge your beliefs, it's just tough to through out a blanket statement, "We are all born equal". The US constitution is the only thing I've read that says all people are created equal. Unfortunately I have come across a few people that prove other wise. It's actually kind of sad knowing these folks aren't playing with a full deck yet they aren't retarded.

Can anyone achieve greatness? Sure, but you better have some talent & ability for what it is you are trying to achieve. Greatness is pretty vague though, not all great accomplishments require physical dexterity and skill. You must posses some basic elements to achieve your goal. Your not going to teach a one armed boxer a jab, jab, upper cut combo.

5. slow rider

I finally found someone who agrees with me.
    Please don't think I discredit any inquiries. I for one will be the first to admit that we know nothing for certain, so I appreciate the views given. Makes me think.
    Here's the site. Am I full of sh%t, maybe so, but its a view.
    http://atvscene.com/johnny-g/johnny-g-what-is-it.htm

6. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

This thread should be sponsored by the Scientologists or Tony Robbins (or whatever his name is, the guy with the huge head and jaw).:p

Rodger

7. MarkReeser516

MarkReeser516 Well-Known Member

Not sure how many of you guys watch basketball or football. I know slowrider doesn't watch them very much, but anyway I think a great person to show you natural talent is Allen Iverson. He has gotten in trouble for not praticing and not doing any training during the off season when everyone else is. Is he the best player in the NBA no, but he is definetly in the top 10 if not 5. All I'm saying is he is way better than a lot of guys who are there every day and always training year around. Now are you going to tell me that some guy who doesn't go to pratice sometimes and doesn't train year around don't have just natural talent for basketball. When he is so much better than a lot of guys who put a lot more into it than he does.

8. NastyHabit

NastyHabit Active Member

BS

Some have really good points here and i am torn between the two sides i can see things on either side being true but still there is no solid evidance proving either side.

Here is my question.... When you guys are done arguing can we get back to the subject of racing and helping eachother improve by sharing experience and tips w/ eachother?

9. slow rider

I find it very difficult to believe that natural born talent is an inborn feature of our chemical composition. Is it not possible that the natural talent each of us possesses is a culmination of learned acts? Our minds process millions of decisions a day, taking us on a journey through endless passages. Would it be so difficult to imagine that the culmination of decisions led us to the natural talent. Each talent i.e. racing, basketball,etc. has millions of minute talents which must be attained to gain ability. Many of the talents learned aren't even considered when looking at the broad subject of said talents i.e. basketball, racing, art, etc.
    Our own fear, instilled by some lesson taught by another or some uncontrolled circumstance, can cause us to void a particular avenue in our minds, thus transcending us toward another passage. The millions of decisions, actions, and reactions made in a day, may be a direct effect of the decision made just prior to the one succeeding it. This takes us on a neverending learning process. Some decisions, actions and reactions force us to learn different talents than others. When the tally of lessons is outbalanced in a certain field of study, this may direct us to consider it a "natural born talent".
    If we were to take two students and teach them the identical lesson, how can we justify an outcome? Which one has gathered more information and is able to process it for use? How can we make an assumption on the learning capabilities of one student, when we don't know the process of learning that individual has had since birth?
    Take us back learning to ride a bicycle. Let's take two 5 year old boys, A and B. Both riders were involved in a perfectly identical accident. The front tire slid out sending them to the ground for the first time. What went through their minds and why? Let's say rider A had never felt the pain of falling, causing injury or pain to himself. Rider B has felt the pain of falling and knows that it hurts to fall and get injured. Will rider B react out of self preservation which caused his fear of injury to consume his conscious mind? Did rider A ride to the point of impact without fear, thus freeing his mind to learn the physical aspects for the reasoning of the crash and the limitations of the front wheel? Both riders were served identical lessons, but who came out with more knowledge of riding? Who is now a better rider? I believe it is these simple unconscious lessons, and the ability to learn before limitations are presented, are what spawn "natural ability". Are our limitations a direct effects of fear, positive and negative reinforcement from others, uncontrolled circumstances, etc???
    This was a simple example, yet the process of learning begins on far simpler terms, and these progress into very advanced lessons, hence talent. The tangents are limitless, and so are the means of learning. The only true talent is in your heart. Your will to succeed.

10. Reality dictates otherwise.

Mark Junge, "roughly" age 35:

Brilliant, articulate, aggressive, personable, and has forgotten more about motorcycles than most people on this list will EVER know, and has ridden more laps than any 25 average riders on this list have COMBINED. You would be hard pressed to find someone with more opportunity to "Learn the processes required learn to ride". Mark has pushed the limits of his speed and talent, and shown multiple time what his capabilities and limits are. Dominates at WERA National level.

John Hopkins, age 19:

Aggressive, cocky, smart. Knows NOTHING about building and running motorcycles. Knows without a doubt that he will be the World Moto GP Champion at age 21, which is why his number is 21. I don't think Hopper is 1/2 as "smart" as Mark Junge, but Hopper will blow Mark into the weeds on equal bikes.

You can teach a guy with no talent how to avoid crashing.

You can teach someone with talent how to be the World Champion.

When John Ulrich points at a guy and says "watch that guy", you better pay attention, because JU can find winners like nobody. He can see talent.

11. slow rider

So you are saying that Hopkins has "it"? What is "it", that's the question. I can give examples of the same respect. Maybe Hopper has less fear, more positive reinforcement and more ambition to be great. I don't really know either of the two gentlemen, but sound like Mark is more humble in knowing that he will always have other skills and intellect, thus having more of a balance, with respect to the mind. You cannot possibly state that Junge has a more capable brain than Hopkins. Hopkins may have more of an imbalance, serving his racing skills (mentally) more chemicals for better focus on track management.
    I don't know, I can't prove it either way.
    I just want to know what "it" is, not have an example of it.
    I guess if Einstein and Sagan couldn't figure it out, none of us will even scratch the surface...

Last edited: Jan 12, 2003
  12. Basically, it's called

MOJO!!!!

Yeah, BABY!!!

Fat Bastard stole Mark's MOJO, and he has not had confidence in himself ever since...

13. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

No it's not MOJO its Desiree that makes him so fast.

14. No way man, sex before a race slows you down!!!

Unless she is taunting him till after the race!

;)

15. Hopper should be careful, she could be a Femme-bott planted by "DR. EVIL Kurtass ROBERTS"!!!!

Watch out for the Machine-gun Jubblies!!!!

16. Gumby647

Gumby647 Señor Member

Did you just watch that on TBS last night or something?

"All I wanted was sharks with frik'n lasers"

17. Well,

What do we have?

Sea Bass.

Sea Bass.... Are they Sea Bass with Lasers?

I'm afraid not.

Are the at least ANGRY Sea Bass?

Oh, yes! Very, very angry...