1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SPEED CELL technologies supersport battery

Discussion in 'General' started by bcc, Jan 4, 2009.

1. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

sure the rider and bike are a package ,but what if your as skinny as your gona get without passing out ,and you've blown the bank on trying to make the bike light as possible .

its not the weight loss overall ,its the removing of that weight from almost always almost the highest point of the rear of the bike.

its not a magic pill that makes the bike magically faster ,but its still a good idea for a bunch of reasons imo

2. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

but the other half of the question, will can we use a battery tender on any of the models (superbike, supersport, total loss?)

3. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

I agree there but how many club level racers out there are "as skinny as your gona get without passing out".

I know I'm not... :D

4. bcc

bcc painter /fabricator

the bigger question is how many club racers care about the bikes weight loss and are really just trying to make it to the end of the race so they can go to work on monday .

Its not for everyone for sure . 3 digit back markers on a stock bike may not find any need for a battery like this .

I just like it because its lighter .....and thats as deep as it gets for me .

5. Eye-p

Eye-p Full Spectrum Power

You will not need a tender for this battery, and tender type device will not work. The configuration of these batteries is entirely different than led acid batteries, which is what Battery-Tender, CTec, etc, were designed for.

You can however take a Speedcell from fully discharged to fully charged in less than 10 minutes by using a 50-70 amp charger. Try that with a led acid battery and you are likely to see an explosion. It can also handle less aggressive amperage for longer times- 5 amp for 1 hour, etc...

Here is a link to a discussion about these batteries on Speedzilla:
    http://www.speedzilla.com/forums/ducati-superbikes/51647-new-battery-installed-2.html

Last edited: Jan 5, 2009
  6. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

not convinced on these

I tried one of these for the first time this past weekend on my Ducati. I bought the supersport version.
    First I hooked it up and the bike would not turn over. I read the instructions which gave detailed charging instructions. So, I put a charge on it and it then was able to turn the bike over. I thought that it was going to be fine until I got to the track.
    What I found is that the battery holds a charge for a short time only. If I had back to back races, it would start the bike ok but if it sat for a few hours, I had to jump start it to turn the bike over. I brought along the stock battery and just touched the terminals with it to jump but it's very frustrating to have to screw around with this on first call to grid. The weight savings is very nice but I don't think that it's worth it for the amount of hassle. Luckily, I can raise the tank and have easy access in seconds or I may have missed a race. Maybe I got a bad one? Not sure.

7. pdxr6

pdxr6 Well-Known Member

My teammate uses the SBK version on his 848. The bike actually starts faster then with a stocker. So far he has been very happy with it. Zero problems. I am thinking about getting one for my 600.

8. Chip

Chip Registered

We are using them on the Aprilia and they work great. We are a dealer and we keep them in stock.....but they sell faster than they can make them.

Good stuff.

9. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

not legal in wera supertock though, right?

10. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

I tried the supersport version this last weekend on my 600RR. Unfortunately, it didn't work out. Fortunately, Josh (SpeedCell owner) is a very helpful guy. He helped me figure out what was going on and then made me a very generous offer to switch to the superbike version of the battery.

The problem with my setup is that I have a race stator that doesn't start throwing charge at the battery until >6000 RPMs (estimated). During morning warm-up, I like to let the bike sit at idle until the temp comes up on its own. While it was idling for about 10 minutes, the battery ran out of juice....just not enough capacity. The superbike version should take care of that.

Josh was all over the problem...wants to make sure all his customers have a good experience with the battery.

11. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

You need to get in contact with them, I have been using one since January and haven't had it discharge once. I never charged it to begin with, from box to bike and still going.

12. blkduc

Can anyone pm me contact info? I bought it through motowheels.

13. flyingpig70

flyingpig70 Well-Known Member

14. Eye-p

You are using a battery specifically designed for 600cc inline 4-cylinder bikes on a big twin. Motowheels should have sold you the Superbike battery, which has significantly greater capacity than the Supersport system.
    If Motowheels is unwilling to help get you into the right battery, feel free to contact me directly and I will get you sorted.

[email protected]

Regards,
    Jason

15. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

Speedcell

We use them on Westby's bike and they work great,I have spoken to Josh directly and he is a hell of a guy.In my opinion this is money well spent.you cant lose 6 lbs on an r6 for 150 bucks,unless you run the Speedcell.

16. Eye-p

Thank you all for the great feedback. We really appreciate it!

17. MrStinky

MrStinky causin' a stink

Not unless someone protests. :Poke::D

18. blkduc

PMs received...thanks!

Jason, thanks. I had no idea that it would not work on mine. It's a small twin and I went by the guide on the motowheels ad. If I remember correctly, it stated up to 750cc, and didn't mention 2 or 4 cylinder. Mine is a 620cc twin so I thought that it would work.
    Unfortunately, I had to go out of my budget to buy this one so $100 more is probably not going to work. I may have to wait until later in the year to upgrade.

My apologies for the negative public feedback guys! Turns out this application may have been wrong for the battery that I bought.:beer:

19. Eye-p

No worries. In the future, please do not hesitate to contact us should you have any questions or concerns.

On a positive note, your battery is still in perfect condition so you should be able to resell it. They were designed to be able to deal with being discharged with no loss in capacity once recharged. :)

Jason

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Some year I may get one for the Hyper. Especially since it's mounted on it's side now.