1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motorcycle Electrical Amperage?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by TD137, Apr 1, 2009.

1. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

I searched and all I could find was people needing help with water heaters, dryers, and generators.

Is it 6 or 12 amps on modern motorcycles?

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

3. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking. Depends on what part of system you're looking at. I have a friend that's working on building a water-brake dyno. He's asking questions now well beyond my basic electrical knowledge.

"Here is my dillema this morning. We did dyno testing last night but we were unable to track engine speed (RPM) because the signal we wanted to use was a 12V signal. Basically what happens is the wire is constant 12 volt hot but then it will ground out when the coils spark causing 0 volts to show up. A counter program in the data acquisition counts the falling peaks and converts to RPM. Simple!

Well but the data acquisition wants the typical 5 volt signal or it will blow up and level the building. So I think we'll jam a resistor in the line to keep a constant 12 amps but down to 5 volts so something like .4 ohms. Apparently it isn't that easy according to Mr. ----- so we need something called a "pull-up" resistor to bring it to 5 V. He keeps asking me for a schematic on the Hall effect sensor but it isn't a Hall effect sensor. I'm not sure what to do so we may just take an alternate right. Do you know anything about pull-up resistors?"

4. fastfreddie

is he trying to modify the data system or the bike?
    not an electrical genius either but, it sounds like he needs a digital output current sensor as a pick-up for the ignition signal instead of tryin' to jack around with the bike's system, which is what i'm reading into this.
    is he asking for a schematic for the crank or cam trigger? it won't help cuz its signal is dealt with in the brainbox and NOone knows what goes on behind closed doors. :D
    well, bazzaz and them guys do.

5. JP OTTO

JP OTTO Well-Known Member

Could you use a relay to trigger the 5V? The relay could be switched with the 12v and then run a 5v power generator thru the relay. I don't know if I'm explaining it correctly. It might be too much of a delay with the relay. Just a thought.

6. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Um....your guy has amps and volts totally jacked up. I wouldn't expect this sort of slip up by an expert.

Also there isn't such thing as a "pull-up resistor" as a resistor's function is simply remove the amount of amps hitting the other side. The wasted power is made into heat.

7. fastfreddie

8. emry

emry Can you count? 50 Fucking what?

#1 A pull up resistor is used to used to keep a logic signal on the high side.

#2 Amps are constant with in a circuit, it is voltage that will "drop" across a load (resistor)
    #3 Ohms law will determine how many amps are flowing through the system.

There are many ways to track a falling edge signal. Google can help.

What type of bike are you testing with? Some bikes do use a hall effect sensor that will generate a square wave 5v signal. Cam position sensors on Yamaha's for example. Just remember to double the rate to relate to crank speed.

9. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

It's a 600rr.

10. TD137

TD137 Well-Known Member

11. g.mccormick

g.mccormick Well-Known Member

What did they use for a water pump/water brake. What kind of data acq. system did they use?

Last edited: May 6, 2009