1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2004 zx-6rr

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Elbee, Apr 29, 2009.

1. Elbee

Elbee Well-Known Member

2004 zx-6rr fork oil change advice

HELP:

I need to know what fork oil would you suggest for an '04 ZX-6RR.
    The bike has Ohlins internals and they have been rebuilt in the winter of 2007. I am not sure what kind of springs or oil are there in it, but the set-up is for a 180-185 lbs rider; I am 220 with gear. However, yesterday my fork seals started leaking - this is my daily driver, too - and I am considering having my oil changed as well, as I will have the forks apart to change the seals.
    The track season starts next week and suspension shops are too busy to help. But I have a terrific mechanic/racer, Slinger (http://www.slingercycles.com/), who offered to give me a hand and change the seals for me. Hopefully, I will be able to take the forks 'off' and put them on myself; I will try. I want to know whether it is fair to ask him to change the oil as well.
    All your insights would be greatly appreciated.

*EDIT: I will look through this write up on fork oil change later tonight
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=167165&highlight=stock+spring+gsxr

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  2. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

yes, def. change the oil at the same time and clean all the parts with carb cleaner. don't worry about taking the forks off the triples- it's very easy.... they simply bolt off. take the front wheel off, then back the bolts off the forks....they slip right out.

3. Elbee

Elbee Well-Known Member

Thanks for your words of encouragement!

I inquired about purchasing fork oil with THE local suspension shop who had done the suspension on my bike for the previous owner; however, they did not come across very forthcoming. They could not take my forks for total refresher as they are backed up and I need them for next Friday and moreover, they are not willing me to sell me (or to tell me) what kind of oil they put in it. They said that it is an "exotic blend" and as he buys it in bulk, he is not interested in selling it to me for my current need. :tut:
    :Puke: I guess that I do not understand that aspect of business, but is that a reasonable response from him given the situation?

4. Dr. GoFast

just get some maxima 5wt- the industry standard. works very well. i think you should do the oil and seals yourself. it's not that hard. do you have a service manual?

5. Elbee

Elbee Well-Known Member

I feel like a fool for not looking at the manual earlier; I did not expect that fork oil change would be in there, and not at all that it would be spelled out in that detail.
    Thanks for the advice. My forks will be off tonight. My dust seals and oil seals should be here early next week. Then, I can get the oil and be ready for the Saturday's test & tune by the end of the week.

I will let you know how I made out!

6. Dr. GoFast

^^ fantastic!! just don't cut any corners. the devil's in the details with forks. make sure you bleed the damper rod thoroughly and that you get the oil level spot on. remember also to clean the tube really well and to smooth out any nick's that may be present and may have caused the seal to blow in the first place. if you don't have a spring compressor, you'll need to get that as well. what i'm saying is make sure you have all the tools you'll need. a vise is also necessary. when you have all the right tools, it's not hard to do at all.

7. Elbee

Elbee Well-Known Member

The local dealer ordered 05/06 seals instead of the 04 ones ... and so I will miss the first test & tune day. :(
    If this was a racing weekend, and I was a serious racer, I would have been seriously disturbed by this display of incompetence.

8. Elbee

Elbee Well-Known Member

The front is re-done tested: works great!
    However, I was unable to assemble the forks myself. Ohlins internals in the stock '04 ZX-6RR are a bitch to put back in.

Thank your advice, everyone!