1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SV tank risers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Rich, May 1, 2009.

1. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Who sells them? They look like something the local hardware store would carry - is there anything special about them?

2. tpadden

tpadden Well-Known Member

i would do a search on svrider.com theres tons of threads on this and one of the sponsors sells them also

3. triplestrong

triplestrong Well-Known Member

Can't ya just stack a few washers under the mount tabs? I've heard this from a few guys.

4. Redbird

Redbird Well-Known Member

The risers have an approximately 1" set screw that threads into both the riser and the frame, holding them permanently in place (lock-tite strongly recommended). Plain spacers or washers can be a PITA when removing the tank, they tend to fall into inconvenient places if you're not careful.

I've got a set of the risers here you can have for $10 to your door. My Scott's damper came with it's own spacers and mounting bolts so I never even mounted these.

5. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

not sure what bike you have but they only apply to 1st gen SVs that suck in air from under the tank.

6. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Will they work with my Scotts damper on my second gen?

If so, I'll take them. Shoot me an email to arrange details.

[email protected]

7. Redbird

Email sent.

8. BiZ

BiZ a matter of weight ratios

I've just used the replacement buttons off aftermarket front brake rotors, and longer cap screws. I wouldn't pay for spacers. All you need is some material with a hole in it, and some longer screws.

9. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

interesting thread, do they help with anything on second generations?

10. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Its a G1-only thing. It gets the underside of the tank a bit further away from the airbox intake, which is on the top of the airbox.

11. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I noticed on my 2nd gen. that the airbox is in fact less obstructed as well if the front of the tank is raised a little, 1/2 inch or so...?

seems it may help a little on top?

12. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

:stupid:

never heard of them doing anything on a 2nd gen.

13. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

I had some small 1/2 spacers from some previous project, just looks like it may help airflow...

14. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

Just rip the whole lid off a G2, if you are not running Superstock.

15. Rich

Rich Well-Known Member

Reading these posts I figured I didn't need them after all. I just got this 2nd gen and haven't even lifted the tank yet - thus have no idea what the airbox is set up like.

But Factory Pro says "The carbureted SV650 needs them, too!!" Makes it sound like they are primarily for 2nd gens.

16. Redbird

If the 650 airbox is setup like the 1000, then yeah. On my 1000 I removed the snorkel and raised the tank, pretty obvious it's going to breathe a little better. Of course, all things being equal a 1000cc motor is going to want a lot more air than a 650, so I can't speak to effectiveness or necessity on the 650.

17. Coke in can

Coke in can Banned

reguardless of size, every motor wants the most air you can give it...As long as you have fuel to match.

18. Cannoli

Cannoli Typical Uccio

can someone post a pic of what it looks like? Is this SS legal? I have a second gen so it doesn't apply to me but would like to be able recognize it when I see it.

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I don't see it in the rules allowing it.

20. racerfranz

racerfranz All done

seems simple enough, stuff a bunch of washers under your front tank mounts. I hate rules, therefore I'm doing superbike. I need to build a real motor though, I'll probably get smoked.