pilot leathers

Discussion in 'General' started by blkduc, Sep 27, 2008.

1. dt rr

dt rr Well-Known Member

i wear'em...fit good... when you order a suit in a conventional size, they'll send you a test suit that is all black so that you can try to size on. its already broken in so that's what the suit will feel like when your new one breaks in. if you can't find your size, you can opt for the $1000 custom tailored suit, where you take measurements on your body and based on those measurements they'll make a custom suit for you.

keep in mind though that their $700 suit can be fully custom designed with any graphics, patches, and damn near anything you want on there. i got my suit in just a lil over 3 wks, though it normally takes 4-6wks, and was able to make the race in vegas w/o a problem. granted i chose a simple design, they also have their template designs you can use and change the color swatches out as you please, all for $700 which i feel is a pretty damn good deal. the only grip i have is that the zippers are small and hard to grip..other than that...it was every bit as good as my $1200 a* suit that held my skin together in a 100+mph get off at vegas 3 months earlier.

armor feels good, using plastic armor with foam padding. speed hump is included(or optional if you don't want it) and the front is fully perforated with kevlar stretch panels along the arms, inside of legs, and accordian streth on top of knees and lower back. molded vents behind shoulders, with everything double or triple stitched.

hope this helps!

2. Dpucks

Dpucks I'M GOIN FAAAAASSSSST!

are you affiliated with them or something dude? sounds like a sales pitch:moon:

3. dt rr

dt rr Well-Known Member

i'm gonna set your head on fir... oh...i mean...

not affiliated with them...just putting out there my experience...w/ him

they're based in murietta which makes it easy for a the wera west guys to get in contact with him and they were very easy to deal w/

if i were affiliated...i wouldn't have to pay for it...lol...that would get me enough to buy another 2 sets of tires.... dang...i can only dream...

4. Dpucks

Dpucks I'M GOIN FAAAAASSSSST!

jp jp. yeah i have seen a couple sets of their leathers and a buddy even crash tested em at the track this past weekend. they held up EXCELLENT. and they are the best bang for the buck imo

5. fookineh121

fookineh121 Member

I'm wearing a set right now. Quality and customer service is great. I'm wearing a standard off the shelf size 42 and it fits awsome. I will say at first it was very tight but Josh at Pilot assured me it would break in and I just wore it for the second time this past weekend at Barber and it felt great. The armour feels and looks very safe. I needed a suit made in less than 3 weeks and josh really worked with me to get the design I wanted so it looks and feels awsome. I'm very happy with the end result.

6. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

Bump.

Anymore comments.

7. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Sprocket

Id like to knwo where the pilot gloves are at ?? I thought I have seen someone wearing a set somewhere ?? I just dont see any gloves on their site for sale ... anyone know where those are at ??

8. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

From what I've seen they seem to be a well made product and the custom patches and color combo's offer more than your 'off the shelf' leathers. One of the guys in our club went down in a set and they held up pretty well (...sorry BlueJunk... they were beautiful before the crash :D). I'm thinking about getting a set for next year.

In addition to Scott Russell wearing them, I think Doug Polen endorses them too.
    [​IMG]

9. white79bu

white79bu Well-Known Member

I think Shawn Higbee wears pilot leathers. He has taken a few hits this year and I think he is still wearing the same set from the Daytona 200. They look like they have held up.

10. knuckledragger

knuckledragger Well-Known Member

We here at OTT wear Pilot leathers. Like said before, Pilot will send you a basic set in black to try on and see what size fits best. The fit is great and the features that are included would normally be found in a more expensive suit...........and they crash well.

I can speak from experience. I low sided at Infineon Raceway turn 4. Ironically the same turn, obviously not the same speed, that I had filmed Mat Mladin low siding at a few days previously.

The leathers went through quite the test as I slide across the asphalt, pushed the bike off of me and my right shoulder/hand, then I slide across the curbing into the dirt and eventually through the dirt into what little grass is at Infineon.

The stitching stayed intact, as you can see from the photos, the patches were pretty torn up but that is to be expected. The armor did its job as the crash took me across a variety of surfaces. The important thing is that the leathers held together and I came out uninjured; except my ego.

In my limited experience as a crash test dummy for the OTT team the Pilot Leathers get an A+ rating.

Cheers,
    D
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. lyodbraun

lyodbraun Sprocket

where can ya find the Pilot gloves ???

12. RCM78

RCM78 Well-Known Member

I have a set of Pilots, Me and four buddies all bought a set in the beginning of the season. Josh was great to deal with. I'm 6'4" 250 lbs and my suit is a size 54. It needed two small alterations that Josh said were no problem to make happen for the off the rack price.
    So far I'm the only one who hasn't crashed in them. All my other friends love them and they have held up well to several crashes. One guy sent his back for repair. The repairs were done quickly (before the next race weekend) and were reasonably priced.

I recomend Pilot to anyone that asks...

13. akillya

akillya TPL Racing Squadra Corse

Last winter I tired on the sizing suits they send out and I just didnt feel safe. The armor was non existant and the leather was really thin. Maybe the real suits are better but I was not willing to risk it no matter how cool the custom design was going to be.

14. Dr. GoFast

Dr. GoFast Well-Known Member

i have a couple friends who have custom pilot leathers. both of them are extremely satisfied with them and they look extremely well-made to me. one of my friends crash tested a set pretty good and it held up excellent. i'd say go for it.

15. talber8

talber8 Well-Known Member

16. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Bump for this thread. I am looking for a good sub $1000 suit and the Pilot looks pretty good. Any recent reviews or post crash reviews?

Looks to be a really good deal. FWIW....I currently wear XES leathers.

17. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

I have a set of Pilot leathers, and have more than pleased with them. They are by far the most comfortable leathers I have owned to date.

They were also crash tested during the WSBK weekend at Miller. I was pleasantly surprised to see how well they held up. I highsided about 90, the bike landed on me, and other than wearing off all the patchwork that touched the ground, all seams, stitching stayed in tact. There did end up being a hold about the size of a nickle on the right shoulder, where the bike seemed to drive all the force. In that area, it didn't go through the seam, it actually wore through the leather. The seam that's about 2mm from the hole, is just as sounds as the rest.

FWIW, I will be buying more of these. I would honestly even put these up there with the $1400 A*'s, Rev-It, and other brand suits.

IF you want I can take photo's, not sure they'll do much good over the internets, but I'd be willing.

Good luck!!

18. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

i think corey rech wears them also for his motogt racing stints on the ducati, i'd love to know what they made for KIA

19. Claussen

Claussen Well-Known Member

I spoke to Russell and Jamie about the Pilots a few weeks ago, and both gave them glowing remarks.. It was an off the record type of situation, and Jamie said he absolutely loved them.. held up great in a crash, didnt bunch up on him.. the usual things you look for. He did tell me that he pays for his suits if that matters..

20. eboos

eboos Slowski

I am in the ordering process right now for my suit. The people at Pilot I have found to be very easy to work with. In addition to the great quality suits, the free application of sponsors logos and patches make it a huge bargin.