1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

04 636 brake problems, only happens at the track.

Discussion in 'Tech' started by marsolais, Mar 24, 2007.

1. marsolais

marsolais Banned

Update!

Ok after Eurosprt screwed me I took the bike out. Had no problems at all with the brakes, but then again I wasn't riding it like I do at the track.

But I wanted to bleed the system again.

So I broke out the Mighty-Vac and went to work.

I started with the long line and I found that I was pulling a lot of air bubbles out of the system. I went at it for over two hours on this one side and I kept getting a steady stream of bubbles. I know the tube was on right because I could hear any hissing. I don't think I have a leak any place because I my fluid has not dropped.

But what I am wondering is, what is the best way to bleed the system.

I have read threads where people have taken the calipers off and expanded the pistons all the way so the pads are touching. Then with the calipers full of fluid they crack the banjo bolt and push the pads back out and that is "Supposed" to push the air out of the calipers.

This doesn't sound all that good to me.

2. Throw the Mityvac in the trash. That's where all the air is coming from.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I wouldn't go so far as to pitch it but yeah, hissing or no you are getting air in where the tube is over the nipple. It's a bike, bleed the damn thing old school and be done with it.

4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Small squeezes. Pump pump pump hold the brake lever then barely, I mean just barely crack the bleeder bolt. Continue pumping but again small incy tiny squeezes to not let air back into the system. Repeat about 100 times and then you have brakes that will stop a freight train. Sucks doing it at the track after a hard days racing but it's something that has to be done. See you at the track next year Marsolis!

5. whitey_1964

whitey_1964 Well-Known Member

Agree with Mongo.... don't throw the mighty vac away, but don't count on it for the final bleed of your brakes.

M-vac is good to get the fluid started, especially after completely draining it. Once you have done that though, you really need to bleed the brakes manually, the old fashioned way. Even if you think you have the tube secure, air may still get in around the hose. If not there, when you losen the bleeder valve, the mighty vac may suck air into the caliper around the valve threads.

6. marsolais

marsolais Banned

This is what I was thinking

7. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member

Youre putting German brake fluid in a US spec bike....

8. marsolais

marsolais Banned

Funny ha ha!:rolleyes:

9. marsolais

marsolais Banned

Ok I pulled out the mighty-vac and started to bleed again. Turns out I was sucking air in threw the tube. So I did the manual bleed. It took a long time, I went threw four or five complete reservoirs (without letting them go totally empty) for each caliper and then the master cylinder. I took the bike out and the brakes feel the same but we will see on May 10th. That's the first track day this year. Fingers crossed!

10. wheedle

Bump for posterity....

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: dammit Tony, that funny!!

12. wheedle

Just because... this thread was so awesome...