Stolen bike??

Discussion in 'General' started by Rocketmann#67, Apr 23, 2009.

1. Rocketmann#67

Rocketmann#67 Well-Known Member

So I did a bunch of work for a guy that smashed up a bike a few years back. Stupid idiot was doing a wheelie and flipped over and totalled it out. took a chunk out of the engine case and smashed a bunch of other stuff. So I got all the parts together for it and put a bunch of hours into it, turned it into a track day bike for this gentleman. When it was done I contacted him to come and get it. The time came and passed, and after a few more failed attempts I just started to use it as a track day bike for myself.

Since then I have not been able to contact this person and have had this bike just sitting around my garage for a few years now. Don't get me wrong I have used it for 4 track days while it has been in my posesion..

So here is the kicker, I went to see if I could get a title for it being that he abandoned it but found out it was reported stolen before I ever got it. So I don't know if he reported it stolen or it was stolen and he was riding a dirty bike. Now I have this stolen bike with my money put into it and no way to get rid of it. What can I do. Obviously I have to call the police but what will happen to me. I don't want to get busted for stolen property. And I don't see any way of them letting me keep it so I can sell it with a clean title and get some of my money back.

2. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

you may be eligable for a mechaincs lean on the bike

3. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

id call the police and explain the situation before you get caught up in it.

4. ckruzel

ckruzel Graphicologist Xtremeist

and add up storage fees at $25.00 a day after the first 30 days

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You won't have any issues because it's not like you bought it from him and now that you've discovered the truth you're contacting the authorities.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I would take my parts off of it first tho...

7. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

Lean it up a against a tree... and RUN!

8. crossroader

crossroader road racing junkie

Yeah, if an insurance co. paid a claim on it I bet your lien is bigger than any security interest they'd have. Get ready to do some paperwork. You gotta prove the guy contracted you to do the work.

9. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Nothing will happen to you - explain the deal in full, provide any documentation you have, and let them know the circumstances under which you came into possession of the bike and the fact that you're an additional victim at this point for having put money into it.

Most likely the bike will either be returned to the insurance company that paid for the loss claim, returned to the last owner on record, or retained by the police for auctioning at a later date depending upon the circumstances. Regardless, you can request to remain in the loop and try to claim current ownership or request reimbursement from the person who gave it to you under false pretenses.

Good luck.

10. fullmetalF4i

fullmetalF4i C. Lee #826

that would be a good idea.
    run your story to the cops, let them know that you're still trying to contact previous owner, said work was done to the bike and you're still awaiting payment for your work done or your parts purchased.
    who knows, maybe they'll run a sting on the guy and you'll get some cash out of the deal...

11. metalkid88

metalkid88 Well-Known Member

+1

12. Ian178

Ian178 Well-Known Member

so the guy that brought you the bike probably just couldn't pay, and reported the bike stolen for an insurance check? Sounds like he is guilty of insurance fraud, and you own the bike because of the unpaid bill and storage fee.

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

:stupid:

Absolutely.

What happens to the bike depends on what has taken place and depends on state law. If an insurance settlement was paid then the bike belongs to the insurance company. In TN it would be placed into the salvage sale process for the company to try an get some money out of it. In NJ things might be a bit different. Some states you can purchase directly from the insurance company and get a salvage title... that is not legal in TN and many states for that matter.

If there was never an insurance claim paid then it likely goes into the police department's salvage/impound property for future auction. Might be able to purchase from them.

Either way, get your parts off of the bike before the cops take it. Once they impound it whatever is on it will stay on it I would think.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2009
  14. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I'd contact a lawyer before a cop. You are in posession of stolen property - PERIOD. Can you PROVE (ask the lawyer what constitues proof) that somebody else brought the bike to you? Is there any other way you can PROVE that you did not steal it? I'm sure you are an honest guy and all, but your word does not mean squat. (no offense intended - that's just the way the courts are going to look at it)

15. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

+1 and if you dont know the guy you are about to work on his bike might want to check all of this stuff out first. and get some info on the person leaving the bike. if you had that in this situation it would be better to be able to say that this guy brought the bike in instead of some guy. just my 2 cents.

16. Rocketmann#67

Rocketmann#67 Well-Known Member

he was a guy the we rode with a couple times. Definately not someone that I would call a friend, just wanted to make a few extra dollars working on his bike and now I have to deal with this crap..

I guess I should have known better when all I know him by is "Showtime"... I have definately learned my lesson from this one.

17. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

yeah i have learned that make a few extra bucks and help someone out just bites you in the ass.