1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SP2 suspension question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by SAEID, Apr 20, 2009.

1. SAEID

SAEID PROSPECT

For those of you who do track days and/or race... Is it ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY to have an aftermarket link, like the DK link, with an aftermarket shock for an 05 RC51?

I have a Penske rear.

-Saeid

2. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

I don't think anything is ever "absolutely necessary".
    Is it helpful? Sure, probably (the guys on rogue could probably better explain the benefits). Is it required? No.
    I never installed the link on my old RC, and the world didn't explode or anything. I didn't race it though.

3. SAEID

SAEID PROSPECT

Thanks for the info.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Nope....you can do just fine without it. The additional traction it gives on corner exit is marginal at best.

5. SAEID

SAEID PROSPECT

Ok cool. The reason why I ask is because I have a Penske and a DK Link. The guy who did my suspension hated the fact that I wanted him to install the link because it raises the rear sooo much. I'm taking it back to him today so he can take the link out. I'm going to ride it at the next track day and see if it works.
    I just got back from a track day and was off my normal pace by a huge margin. The geometry of the bike is completely off and I'm thinking it's either the shock or the link.

6. Venom51

At some point you could induce too much swingarm angle and actually reduce traction so he's not all wrong in saying it. You can reduce the lentgh of the shock if he feel's it's too much or if it hurts traction on the exit of the corner.

7. SAEID

SAEID PROSPECT

I see. So it's either reduce the length of the shock/spring, or take the link out???

8. Venom51

You'll have to decide after riding the bike. One of the things the RC was good at is trying to toss you on your head upon throttle application getting off the apex of the corner. This is one of the things the link was designed to help reduce by increasing gripat the rear of the bike. You can whoever reduce the amount of traction by inducing too much swingarm angle. If your rear shock was already adjusted to raise the rear of the bike then adding the link may take it past the point of being too much. Again that's going to be a persanl preference thing and all of this is predicated on you riding the bike at the very limits of traction all the time. As an example if you are turning 1:50's at Barber then you aren't near the ballpark in which the link would make a difference.

9. SAEID

SAEID PROSPECT

Venom, thanks for taking the time to answer all my questions.

Ill keep you posted on the progress as it happens.

-Saeid

10. Hordboy

Hordboy B Squad Leader

If you have a standard length Penske then even if it is shortened all the way, the rear will still be too high with the link. The SP2 already rides too nose-low thanks to the long top-out forks, adding the link will just make it worse. When I was racing a SP2 I ran a Penske/stock link with about 15mm added rear height, but I also converted the forks to SP1 style with a Traxxion short top out kit. This keeps the nose of the bike riding higher in the stroke, and for me, at least, transformed the bike from a pig into something raceable. I'm not saying the link itself is a bad idea, just saying it is part of an equation and not a solution in itself. IMO and all that. :beer: