1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just bought my first stock bike to start racing with...HELP and tips!

Discussion in 'General' started by caper656, Apr 9, 2009.

1. caper656

caper656 Well-Known Member

Hey guys, names Brian.

Just picked up a 2005 GSXR 600 4k miles for $2000 and I am ready to build a budget racer.

The bike was laid over on the left side so it has some damage.

Items I need to replace:
    1.) Left clipon and clutch perch
    2.) Sliders
    3.) Fairings
    4.) No upper, fairing stay, or gauges
    5.) Rear Sproket was cracked..original owner had a junk stunt sproket on it...he laid it over before he could stunt it. and i know because i ride on the street with him
    6.) Front brake perch/reservoir/master cylinder
    7.) exhaust can was sold off it already.

Starts up and runs good.

OK so now the questions
    1.) How do i make this a race bike. :eek:
    2.) Fairings...i realize im going to be crashing so i dont want to get 1000 paintjob on fairings..but what should i look for in buying race fairings? i know the typical brands..but should i stay away from ABS? get fiberglass?
    3.) What aftermarket components are a must!
    4.) It has a green title...should i black title it incase i ever want to return it to street and sell? or should i title it?
    5.) on the parts i listed that need to be replaced, should i replace back to stock or get aftermarket?

Tips?

and who has spare parts!!!

2. SClark

SClark Righteous Indignator!

Sell it to someone who cares... then buy a race ready SV650.
    Any year with a stock motor.

3. caper656

nice...threatened of me on the track already. love it

4. malik ross

malik ross Waits for his asskicking.

he ain't threatening you of the track. he's giving you good advice on how to start racing without spending a lot of money. i'll break it down for you.

a decent SV650 set up to race can be bought for 3k$~4k. that is a bike with proper suspension, brakes, tires, engine mods, bodywork and spares. for $5k you can get an SV set up very well with some race winning pedigree. after purchasing tools and leathers you are ready to race. its a bike that teaches the fundementals without scaring the piss out of you. its also a bike in a class with smaller grids and fewer headhunters. its a bike that not only requires good riding skills it rewards them. it is a bike you can learn how to race with. not a bike you can avoid crashing on. there is a difference.

you have a basket case GSXR600 that you are already into for $2k. as it sits it is worth nothing but for some of the parts. start adding the following and see where you wind up.

Gauges...ebay, $150 (if you're lucky)
    clip-ons $150
    cluth perch and lever $20 (ebay again)
    front brake lever/Master cylinder $300 (the stock master is junk and will need to be replaced)
    brake lines $130
    brake pads $80
    bodywork...$600
    Chain and Sprockets (stock and +2, -2 rears) $200
    new clutch $200 (yes...you'll need to replace the stock clutch. steel plates, fiber plates and springs)
    new fork seals, fork oil change and proper springs $300
    tires $300 (this is a recurring cost. SV's are very easy on tires)
    exhaust system $1000
    power commander $300

$3700 additional and that is just covering the basics. not included is the cost of labor. figure sending your forks out will cost you another $200. $400 for the dyno tune. rearsets will probably need to be added plus stands. also figure in spares for the clip-ons, levers, foot controls and bodywork. then there is the time and stress of building a race bike. can't really put a price on that.

figure, all together you'll throw another $4k at this bike. then you have to try and ride it in a packed grid full of racers trying to be the next Ben Spies.

an SV650 isn't such a bad idea afterall.

5. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

Buy some size 56 Icon pants and corner low.

6. Roosell

Roosell It's just as I suspected

Yep. Wish I had listened way back when...Next time....:up:

7. Roosell

Roosell It's just as I suspected

:clap:

8. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Don't forget tire expense, too.

SV is better on tires than a 600, right?

9. paistes5

paistes5 Well-Known Member

Now that was funny. :crackup:

10. vito2279

vito2279 Well-Known Member

IDK, I feel different then these guys. I've seen guys START racing on 750's and 1000's and they turned out just fine. I know guys who chose to ride SV's and they had ALOT of fun. I also know guys who tried an SV and hated it. I recently saw a guy riding a STOCK R6 winning races at Jennings the last round. IMO get the bike rideable and see how you like it:up:

11. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

i started on a gsxr600, mine was more complete though. but was bone stock, raced all last year that way, once i got into the flow of racing i started having good times. Leave it basic for now till you figure out if your gonna like racing or not. just throw a stock pipe on it for now, who cares get it out there for real cheap money. Then you can do like me and drop a grand in aftermarket parts, all used but pretty much half price

12. caper656

ive driven a few sv650 and i just cant get along with the way the bike is setup....i just dont like the way it feels.

The gsxr's or r6's have always felt more confidence building than the sv's...otherwise id buy the ugly duckling.

plus i already bought the bike....for $2k i can turn it around and sell it sense it has a green title.

as far as all those parts... your prices are a bit sqweed
    Gauges...ebay, $150 (if you're lucky)....i already bought one for 50 with 8K
    clip-ons $150----already found them for 70 with oem perchs on it
    cluth perch and lever $20 (ebay again) ok thats fair price
    front brake lever/Master cylinder $300 (the stock master is junk and will need to be replaced)---true but can i not use it for the track just until i figure out the reins?
    brake lines $130...im assume SS lines, but i already have some at home i can use
    brake pads $80...ok
    bodywork...$600...i dont need new stuff, i have found used stuff from 150-300
    Chain and Sprockets (stock and +2, -2 rears) $200....i found some used but probably buy new
    new clutch $200 (yes...you'll need to replace the stock clutch. steel plates, fiber plates and springs) ----havent heard this one...but i could understand. Am i not ok while i learn?
    new fork seals, fork oil change and proper springs $300. ----is this necessary while im learning?
    tires $300 (this is a recurring cost. SV's are very easy on tires)---OK
    exhaust system $1000---full system??? i dont think ill need the power increase just yet
    power commander $300-----same as above.

so Im seeing about 400 + tires....is it a bad idea to use someones race takeoffs?

13. lrrs699

lrrs699 EX ccs/lrrs

search the forum.....i scored woodcraft clipons for $70 PC for $150, plus more but just so u get an idea just dont skimp on tires thou....everyone will agree with that

14. Bonzai

Bonzai Bringing up the rear.

Safety Wire ... and lots of it.

15. 418

418 Expert #59

Brian, welcome to the madness. There is a hardcore few that think starting out with anything than a SV650 is pure blasphemy. Don't let them deter you from your goals.

Yes, you could have done better on your purchase but there is always a better deal out there. There is more cheap 600's out three than SV650's anyways. Some of the lightweight guys think their SV's are made of gold or something. :D

Here is answers to your questions in order...

1) Lots of money and dedication.
    2) There is a guy on here that sells "E-racing" bodywork. See if he has something for your bike. This stuff is $400 a set. Drill it, mount it and forget it. Next in line is Hotbodies which is about $550. Forget about paint. Or just use rattle cans. Looking good and being on a budget doesn't go hand in hand unless you're a lucky or a talented painter.
    3) Your bike isn't known for having fabulous brakes, so if you must pick up a new MC, you might as well go with Brembo, braided lines and some race pads.
    4) Wouldn't worry about it.

Everything else I would replace with STOCK used stuff. You can find a used exhaust for dirt cheap. Same with clutch perch, clip ons, fairing stay and gauges. If oyu take your time there is deals to be had out there. I would purchased chain and sprocket kit, NEW. Just like your brakes this is one of those things you don't need to be taking chances with. I don't have frame sliders on my bike. The set I had on my last race bike probably did more harm than good.

You can spend a endless amount of money on a bike that's worth not much more than $3500 in race ready trim. But if you're careful, shop smart and don't fall into the "must have" mentality that some people develop in this sport, you can go pretty far on a "small" budget.

As for tires, anything ridden fast enough will eat tires. I for one don't think the difference in tire bills betweens a SV and a 600 is that big at least at novice level.

16. caper656

yup! got my saftey wire tools today. most of the guys around me just told me to get some protection equip, set of used race fairings, and go. They told me not to even use a gauge cluster.

OK no race takeoffs...just wanted to hear some opinions.

17. paistes5

If you are just starting out, spend your money on the safety gear. It is well worth the price to ensure you don't end up with a lot of rash when you go down or something worse.

18. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

sv's=GHEY:D

You'll be fine on a 600. Nice find.

19. caper656

you dont think 2005 gsxr 600 with 10mph crash for $2k is a good deal with a green title and runs and drives perfectly? most of the parts i listed were sold off so the guy could pay for his monthly payment.

only real damage i saw was fairings were scruffed up, the left clipon was bent and the brake perch was damaged somehow..donno how but its in pieces.

maybe i should put it back to stock and sell it and find a race prepped bike?

20. paistes5

Race prepped could be cheaper, just depends. It's the wrong time of year looking for one of those. Wait until after the season, you can pick up just about anything you want at a pretty decent price.