Asked & answered 1000 times, but...

Discussion in 'General' started by 976-FIZR, Jan 6, 2003.

1. 976-FIZR

976-FIZR In transition...

I've got a problem and can't figure out the answer. I've got a stuck T-27 Torx screw; I can't get it to move for $#!+. I've destroyed my T-27 socket in the process of my failed removal, and it looks like the socket has gone most of the way towards rounding over all the points in the screw. A kill-kill situation. Of course it's a round head screw, partially recessed in the cover it's holding down, so I can't even get Vice-Grips around it.

OK, so my question(s): Which extractor kit should I buy? Craftsman, Snap-On, etc.? It'll be my first kit, so I'm looking for something to keep for a while, like the next 30 years. And what's the prefered procedure for the clean, painless removal of the offender? I saw a drill kit kinda thing today at Sears, butt wondered how much possible desruction may be involved.

Are there other alternatives I haven't explored? Heat didn't seem to convince the screw to budge. Butt I didn't use a torch, all I had is one of those long Bar-B-Que lighter thingies. :rolleyes: And it's been in the garage for a long time, so I know cold wasn't the answer.

-Wish

2. HFD1Motorsports

HFD1Motorsports BIKE TUNA

what is you are removing? If it is the last thing holding the part on you can drill the head off and pull the part off and then use trusty vise grips on the now stud:) Just use a big bit that will take the head off easy

Last edited: Jan 6, 2003
  3. rdracr

rdracr Active Member

not to good

MAC sells rev drill bits made for this kind of stuff, but if you cant get your hands on one , just drill it out.

4. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Re: not to good

Snap-On makes this set also. It is a left-hand drive drill bit set that will sometimes grip the screw enough to pull it out. Worst case is you have drilled a hole for an ez-out. If you can get the cover off, like HFD1 said, just drill the head off and vise-grip it out. That'll save you the $30 bucks + the rev bit set will cost.
    I've been through this hundreds of times, and it can be aggravating. Good luck to you.

5. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

you can take a dremel and reshape the head of the bolt to fit something else and see of that works. give it two flat sides.

i would also try to put some real heat on it and see if that helps. or heat everything and try to cool just the bolt then do it.

6. phillip doyle

phillip doyle Well-Known Member

a punch and hammer always works for me.:)

7. Strick

Strick Good to be king

If you can get a Dremel on it cut a slot in it and use a screwdriver. I have always had good luck doing that.

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And another thing to ttry is a good, name brand, brand new T27 socket. I've had them strip out with a junk socket and been able to still get a good socket to bite.

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

be carefull with the extractor i tried it on a broken banjo bolt on my caliper and snapped the side of the caliper off! defeated the purpose i guess,lol. there is an article in the new motorcyclist dealing specifically with your problem. might be worth taking a look. kent.

10. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

My first method is to take a small ball pean hammer and whack at the center of the head of the bolt. If you pean over enough metal, you can then drive in a torx socket and it will have enough bite to back it out.

If that doesn't work, try cutting a notch in the head with a hacksaw or dremel, then use a large flat blade screwdriver.

If that doesn't work, you'll need to use an extractor. Best extractor set I've used is Snap-on. Any splined extractor should work well. Be sure to use a left hand drill bit.

11. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

I have to do it, it's peen.:D

12. Knarf Legna

Knarf Legna I am not Gary Hoover

Hey, you're right. Only problem is somebody would have replied with "eh heh, eh heh, he said peen".

13. MarkB

MarkB All's well that ends well

As already mentioned, I use a dremel rotating disc to cut a notch for a flat-headed screw driver - works every time. (well all three times I've done it anyway)

Also, dont waste money on a Dremel if you dont have one already. Go to HomeDepot and go to the Dremel attachment section and just buy the discs and the little mounting rod - about $7. This can be attached to any electric drill, just like a drill bit.

14. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

Dremel and garage safety

I found Black and Decker's version of the Dremel-style tool for around $20. Not as nice as the Dremel, but for inrequent use, it serves the purpose.

Also, be sure to wear your safety glasses when messing with these high speed tools! I managed to shatter a cut off wheel, and a shard hit my lip. Because it was hot it stuck to my lip and seared the flesh leaving a nasty blister. I can only imagine what it would have done to my eye.

My .02.