Value of Titled vs Untitled Frame?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by raTTso, Apr 6, 2009.

1. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

At VIR, my Duc 800SS suffered irreparable frame damage when it ghost rode into the armco. I have a line on a bill-of-sale frame for $100 or a titled frame for $800. In terms of selling the bike once it's put back together, is there that much difference between buyer interest and ultimate sales price between the two? I do have quite a bit of the road pieces still for the bike, so someone could put it back on the road without too much hassle.

I'm thinking the $100 frame is the way to go and just sell it as a track bike. They seem to be pretty popular right now, especially with "mature" guys like me :).

Thanks in advance,

Kurt

2. 97eviltwin

97eviltwin Well-Known Member

If you have the money, I'd buy the $800 frame. This way it would leave your options and the potential buyers options open to converting it back to street use. You will probably make the $700 difference back at sales time.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

I agree that you will make the $700 differernce back at sales time.

4. russomf

russomf Well-Known Member

buy both, use the $100 for while your tracking/racing it incase you crash again then put in in the $800 one when you done and ready to sell. it is only $100 and liek said you willmake that up in the sale and if no more crashes you can sell the $100 frame for what you paid later.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Buy the untitled frame - you still have the title to the bike, that title is still valid even if you replace the frame. Now that's assuming the untitled frame has no VIN - if it does then don't buy that stolen shit and spend the 800.

What's a replacement frame cost?

6. raTTso

raTTso Carpe Diem, Dude

The "untitled" frame is used. The owner says that he bought it with a salvage title for a project but isn't sure where the title is. I know...old story. I would run the VIN before purchasing.

The titled frame is from a parted race bike.

I don't know what a new frame would cost. Since it's a Ducati, I didn't even think about going in that direction :D.

The plan is to sell the bike. I've had a couple of seasons now ended early because of crashes that weren't self-induced. Even at fifty, I can still heal the broken bones, but the time and money I spend on this wonderful sport have reached the point of even me having to ask myself, "What are you doing? Are you crazy?" :up:

7. beathiswon

beathiswon Well-Known Member

The owner of the untitled frame may be telling the truth but how many honest people lose the title without getting it replaced when they go to sell? Add the super cheap price and sounds a little suspicious to me. Why take the risk of supporting a possible thief?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  8. WayneDangerous

WayneDangerous Well-Known Member

Ask for a picture of the neck stamp. Make sure the numbers are perfectly straight. Then verify the VIN #. A stolen frame in your possession will be hard to explain...and you'll lose the parts you have mounted on it.