kawasaki H1 pistons stuck, HELP!!

Discussion in '2-Stroke Machines' started by bipper22, Feb 28, 2009.

1. bipper22

bipper22 Well-Known Member

I just picked up this beauty. a 74 h1, its been sitting since 78. All the pistons are stuck tight. Any advice on getting them unstuck would be a great help... It looks like a bunch of crap on the top of the #1 piston. I guess its old carbon. I sprayed them with wd-40 and they have been soaking with no luck.
    Someone shoved a brownie in the master cylinder it is a mess.

Attached Files:

2. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

are you sure its the pistons that are stuck?? can you remove a cylinder or two? try some ring free, and let it soak on top of the rings.

3. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Keep them soaked with penetrating oil of some sort, you can also try a LITTLE heat (propane torch) on the liner/fins this can expand the cylinder and let the oil get in better.

Are the cylinders loose on the base gasket surface? some times they can be stuck there also.

Give it some time and some CAREFUL work with a rubber mallet (DON'T whack the fins) I have used a carefully shaped 2X4 against the sleeve/bore, with a crisp hammer smack to break a cylinder free from the base gasket/case

4. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

soak with kerosene

5. marty738

marty738 MRA #738

try to find some place that sells kroil. i have had good luck with it as a penetrent

6. bipper22

Well i got them unstuck and the piston pin were seized also. Cylinders are on there way to be bored. thanks for everyone's suggestions. Here is a photo of the progress so far. Frame painted and every thing cleaned up.

Attached Files:

7. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Nice! Good luck with your project and post the progress.

8. Joe S

Joe S USCRA #496

For future reference, WD-40 isn't a good penetrating oil - it's good for drying out distributor caps and wires though. Use Kroil or PB Blaster (NAPA) they work much better! Joe

9. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

If the cylinders and wrist pin were stuck the crank will need to be rebuilt.

10. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Triples are Da Shizzle!! :beer: :clap:

11. bipper22

update on the H1

Got the fork tubes polished and the frame is coming along. Im waiting for a nice front wheel. As soon as I get the rods the crank is off to Damon Kirkland.

Attached Files:

12. bipper22

more progress

Fresh crank with new rods from the man damon kirkland. this guy is the man, a one week turn around on a crank rebuild. new front wheel, spokes and tire. I have to get a new left cylinder, it had a hair line crack in the sleeve.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  13. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

Looking good. :clap:

14. Repo Man

Repo Man 50 years of Yamaha GP!!

Nice!!! :up:

15. bipper22

update

I got the tank tail and side panels painted. with one mistake, I gave the painter the wrong tail section. I guess it was for a kh 500 and not the h1 500. So now I have a very nice tail section painted the wrong color. Bottom end is in and it look like I need new shift forks. Its hard to shift into first.

Attached Files: