1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Shorty Levers Harder To Pull?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Racer9, Mar 7, 2009.

1. Racer9

Racer9 Well-Known Member

Thinking about switching to shorty levers, but are they harder to pull?

Seems like standard levers are easier to pull because there's more leverage available, assuming you pull at the edge of the lever.

2. Marcmcm

Marcmcm Huge Member

Maybe it was an illusion, but mine always seemed easier to pull.

3. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

I have used CRG and now Vortex shorties. I went from the long vortex to the shorties and the profile of the long and short levers are exactly the same...until after where you grip them.

They should have the same pull.

4. mineshaved

mineshaved product of my enviroment

i bought a ASV shorty from cycle gear and it has 3 different spots were you can put the cable and each of them has a different pull but they are all easier than the stock lever that i had.

5. pr0clivity

pr0clivity Well-Known Member

ALL shorties are in fact harder to pull. They have to be because it utilizes a shorter lever arm. You can't apply as much torque on the master cylinder piston as you can with the long levers.

If you always pull near the middle of the long lever, it should be about the same because it will be the same distance from the master as the shortie.

This is not my opinion, it's physics.

6. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

^ therefore if one moves the MC inwards then the finger would land further towards the end of the lever and it would "feel" easier, or the same as stock levers.

7. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

I bought as set of ASV levers for an 07 GSXR 750 and the pull does not seem to be any different than on a standard lever.

That being said, my fingers always rested about mid way out a full lever and I have short fingers.

Brian

8. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i like my levers very far out. i slide the mc as much as i can to the left on the clip on to get it out as far as possible. when i switched to a short lever, i absolutely hated it and took it right off.

9. Bosarge22

Bosarge22 Active Member

That is correct. Physics. Anything else is just preception.

10. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I likeed the long levers for braking and used the shorties for the clutch. I think it is a matter of personal preference.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2009
  11. Former

Former Well-Known Member

+1

I just switched to the ASV shorty levers and the first thing I noticed was how harder it was to pull.

12. Racer9

Racer9 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses, guys.

On a side note, there's several responses about ASV levers. Is there any particular reason why you guys are using ASV as opposed to CRG, Vortex, GP Tech, Pazzo and likewise levers?

Cheers,

13. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

They may have been easier because maybe the cable end or pivot point was lubed when changing them out.

14. Slinky001

Slinky001 Well-Known Member

The others have a lever with 5 or 6 positions.

The asv levers have an amazing amount of travel that is accomplished by using a wheel with a sliding shaft to set length.

15. CockSucker

CockSucker Well-Known Member

i changed to the pazzo shorty levers on both my track and street bike and at first it felt weird bc ur used to the long lever but then eventually u get used to it. The levers have adjustments on how close or far u want the level from ur fingers. Playin with the cables gives u more adjustments also. Just like anything u have to get used to it. After a day of riding i didnt even notice the difference.

16. Racer9

Racer9 Well-Known Member

Cheapest I could ASV's was $125 each. Sound about right?

17. CockSucker

CockSucker Well-Known Member

Yeah they are the most expensive levers on the market. I think the Pazzo, CRG, and Vorex are equal in quality. Save the dough and get other brands and spend the extra money on something else for ur bike. I had a low side with my pazzo and did not have a issue but a little scratch on the lever. I dented my tank so the bike did get banged up.

18. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

I'm buying mine from Lithium Motorsports and they're cheaper than that, call them if you're looking for some.

19. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I have a mixed set (long clutch and shorty brake) on my R1 and am very happy with them. Oh yeah, ASV is the way to go!!!

20. Tinfoil hat charly

Tinfoil hat charly Well-Known Member

I had to run shorty levers to fit inside my 1969 Harley fairing; slightly harder to pull but you get stronger.