SV 650 Questions

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Czolgosz, Feb 12, 2009.

1. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

(searched but didn't find what I'm looking for)

My nephew is looking to get into street trackdays and eventually racing. I recommended checking out an SV 650 as there seems to be a decent following for a good bike. He has 13 years of riding dirt, so I figure the 650 would be an acceptable starter bike.

My basic question is; which year SV is good and which is not so good for track/racing use?

He's on the tight budget of an 18 year old kid, so the bike will have to be well used and inexpensive. I'm helping him look by checking out bikes that have the basics:

Matching vin/title
    Straight frame and forks
    Solid engine and transmission

TIA for any advice.

2. Matt399

Matt399 Well-Known Member

I race a 1999 SV and definitely can't blame my poor results on the bike. The first gens are dirt cheap to buy already race prepped, reliable if you keep the engine mods reasonable, and seem to be just as competitive as the newer models for less money.

3. 2Fer

2Fer Is good

SV650 is a great choice

4. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I think any SV that run and is in good shape physically should be fine.

I like 2nd Gen's the best :)

Zoran is the man on the SV, so he is the one who can make the best call.

5. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

they are all good. some years I personally like to avoid but because I know every single part of bike :)
    01,02,04,05,06 I prefer over others.

6. Clem

Clem Changin' My Latitude

As long as it is straight and not too built, it should serve for your purposes.

My 00 got me started with zero mechanical problems. Down on power a bit compared to a new/built one but it goes around just fine and has been reliable.

Happens to be for sale as well, click the link in the .sig:)

7. Czolgosz

Czolgosz Banned

Thanks, gents.

Looks like the SV is definitely a good choice as even y'all w/ older rides are still happy with 'em.

TW, looks like you left out the '03, I presume because of parts; is that correct?

8. TWF2

I am mostly talking motor internals. 03 is specific for that year.
    you don't need to worry about that stuff, like I said they are my preferences due to familiarity of every single part.

9. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

What`s the issue with the 99 and 00 ones?

10. TWF2

remember recall?

11. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

what in sam's hell do you know about an SV? arent you the guy who stuffed some dirtbike motor in an italian frame and they made a story about you? :Poke::D

12. TWF2

I heard that dirt bike made you quit clubman :Poke::D

13. The H-man

The H-man Go Navy!

Come to think of it... from all I read, shouldn't they have photographed you with a cigarette and/or coffee in one or both hands? :D

14. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i still got that motor. it just needs a frame to grace it. i just dont see the point any more. once i beat the great fred cobb on it, and you didnt come through on your promise to come to east coast, i retired it. :D

but it could come to life if it needed to.

15. TWF2

all right, lets plan it for this year. We will bring my 600 and dirt bike. :)

16. acer66

acer66 Well-Known Member

No, guess I have t look that up.

Wow, I went into panic mode for a second there but fortunately the cut of date for the recall is 12-31-99 and mine is made in 01-00 :)

That means I am save right?

Right?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2009