What happened to the AMA purse thread?

Discussion in 'General' started by Stu Carter, Feb 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DavieStone

DavieStone Well-Known Member

What the hell? They just dont get it!:crackup:

2. Roger@Arroyo

Roger@Arroyo Well-Known Member

I totally understand what you guys are saying, I'm just wondering what it paid last year, so I can figure in tire costs and the difference in payout overall. Believe me, I'm not trying to be a Richard, and I've been roadracing 15 years. My personal club racing budget pays for itself with the exception of a bike upgrade every few years. I couldn't do that in AMA racing in the mid 90's so I didn't do very many.

And Dave, I did a national on one set of new tires once....and it was a huge mistake. 10 years ago you needed 3 sets.

But, back on topic, what is the difference in payouts from last year to this year?

3. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Last year it paid $1750 avg to win a SuperSport/SuperStock or FX race...LOL

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

No and other than my shitty on track performance this is why I don't even fathom to be a privateer.

5. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Sorry for pointing out the "I can't afford it but I want it now" approach that has taken the way things have been done in this country for sometime.

If you can't pay for the season, then what are you doing running it?

6. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

If I remember correctly, the spec tire charge is $420 per set.

x6 sets = $2520 tire bill? Is that about the right cost?

7. DavieStone

Britt? Anyone...help?

8. DavieStone

Yep....and I'm sure that there is tax on there as well.

9. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It is easy Davie, He is NOT a Racer at Heart...

Kinda reminds me of an old HD Tshirt I had, "If I have to Explain, You wouldn't Understand".

I would guess he has never taken the house payment and grocery money, to go racing on, counting on the purse money to make it back home on Sunday night...only to show up for work late on Monday and have to work ovetime to make enough to catch up and go racing the next weekend.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  10. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Out of curiosity (after reading the RRW article regarding the spec tire cost breakdown), why do the Dunlops seem so pricey for AMA level racers?

I would figure based on the volume of sales alone as the spec tire you guys would be taken care of a bit better then that.

I know they're not the same thing, but even Bridgestone sponsored riders can get sets for under $330 in bulk ?

11. Stu Carter

Stu Carter Well-Known Member

you are blinded by your circular reasoning. So let's try looking at the purse another way.

Think of the previous payout which paid to 30th and offered $5000 from 2nd to 20th and $3000 for 21st to 30th as START MONEY. Okay not exactly because you still have to finish and shit happens and so on. However, it is a reasonable assumption that you will finish somewhere in the hunt. That way the money would most probably be in your pocket when you left the track. This is a reasonable assumption.

Now here comes Mr. Edmonson with his broad sword cutting all of us off at the knees by reducing his purse aka start money in half just as we're all ready to load our bikes up in the back of our pick ups to head for his series of races.

No matter how you look at it, it sucks.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Captive Customers will pay the price.

Same reason we were paying $4 a gallon for gas last year for our truck, now it is $1.80 for the same stuff.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2009
  13. patrickmotox

patrickmotox The Riders Mechanic

Just like gas.

14. DavieStone

I had that freaking t-shirt!:crackup:

I've done a lot of the above to race and I guess its the sword that we live and will probably die by just to race. Some just dont understand the passion that some of us have and thats alright. Just as they dont understand...we cant explain.

I'm not fooling anyone into thinking I'm the next Mladin...but I do have a master plan that follows something like yours with Matt. I figure that if I get my foot in the door, finish reasonably well...I will have opened the door for the two little boys in the other part of the house that love bikes like I do.

I may be no one right now...but I might have the future in the other room beating the hell out of each other with plastic swords as I write this;):crackup:

15. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

Everytime the AMA goes to shiit, the conversation arises about AMA regulars and privateers filling the club racing grids...

Is it that time again?

16. Stu Carter

Stu Carter Well-Known Member

The tires are pricy because there were proposals submitted that paid the DMG group for the right to sell tires to the racers. The winning bid amount is unknown but there have been numbers bandied around from $750,000 to over $1,000,000 for the rights that Dunlop paid. They have to pass that cost on to the user. This is why there is the high price and no spiffs of any kind. No free tires, no deals, no matrix, no nothing. Of course Dunlop can recoup their money by advertising how successful the tire is as it wins every race for the next several years. But that doesn't prevent them from charging a hearty sum to the racers and teams who choose to race the AMA in order to recoup their costs. I'm sure that there's some justification as to the pricing because the tires are expensive to make, blah, blah, blah, but the truth remains that its a lot more pricy to run the AMA program with this new set up

17. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Davie,

Alot of team owners were racers before, and still are.....

Never give up, sometimes you have to re-group and go to Plan B or even Plan C, but Never give up or you become "One of Them", those who "coulda been, or use to was".

18. Cannonball39

Cannonball39 Well-Known Member

Any idea if this was this a multi-year deal or a one off and see how it goes? I can't remember reading the duration...

19. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Nope never done that but I know that I'd never make it home. To me what you described isn't a racer but a compulsive gambler.

20. DavieStone

Thanks for the kick in the ass. I'm just a little down for the moment and upset over what has happen over the weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.