1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scorpion EXO-1000 review

Discussion in 'General' started by TwoRs, Feb 11, 2009.

1. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

Searched and read the post from the early release, but no real long term use reports. I have seen the SBTG video but that just shows the product.

This is another tool to add and will be used on the street and trackdays...no racing.

I have a Scorpion 700 already and for the money it is hard to beat as a back up to the Arai. Not as comfortable, but not 500.00.

The inner shield on the EXO-1000 would have been great this past weekend! Even with sunglasses the sun was tough and required taking my hand off the handlebars to shield the sun...no I was not racing!

Who has had one and can report on how well that inner shield system works?

Any problems?

Would you buy it again?

Weight is not a problem.

Thanks

2. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I like my 700 better than my RX-7, but my head was shaped by a cruel God...

Don't know about the 1000, but I know about Scorpion's support for our sport and the price for that lid, hard to beat that...What wouldn't work about a drop down visor?

3. TwoRs

TwoRs Well-Known Member

What wouldn't work about a drop down visor?[/QUOTE]

Don't know, that is what I am asking....???? How well does it work? Does the inner shield drop down too far and hit the bridge of your nose? Or are sunglasses just as effective....if you street ride and start out during the day and come home at night, having to carry a clear shield is a pain.

This helmet, if it works as it should, it could be great!

4. Chumbucket

Chumbucket Well-Known Member

I was taking the long way of saying, "Hey, I don't know shit, but I'm a little bored right now and at least will take the opportunity to provide you with a little company...."

Pretty much the entire internet is based on the concept...Good luck in your quest.

5. Lawdog78

Lawdog78 Well-Known Member

I have one and I had the exo 700 before. The fitment is completely different. My 700 was very comfortable and easy to slip on over my head. The 1000 is painful to put on and extremely painful (to me) to take off. Once it's on it's pretty comfortable but it seems to squeeze the front of my forehead and my old 700 did not do that. I enjoy the inner drop down "shades" if I'm riding slow through town and need to get some air circulating but still want to block the glare. IT does not touch my face at all but because there is some gap, you still get some road glare coming up off the bike and the road. Overall I"m happy with it...I just wish it was a tad more roomy in the front and easier to put on and remove. Hope that helps

6. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

The thickness of the brow of the helmet might be a consideration when you're considering a racing lid. The drop down visor has to increase the width of the helmet in the brow area.

I think this is important because when racing you need to be able to tuck and still see ahead. One's head can only rear so far from a tuck, so if the helmet brow protrudes too far it might limit one's ability to see ahead.

Just a thought...

7. Heartsofoak441

Heartsofoak441 Zip Tie Alley

I have been using the exo 700 For the last 2 seasons works great. Tried the 1000 It has a lot of features but it is heavy as a brick.

8. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

LOL.. I'm too fat to tuck behind a windscreen anyway..

But yeah.. it's HEAVY.

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

The 1000 is one of the best street helmets ever IMO, but it's not a racing helmet. Stick to the 700 or 400 (whichever fits you better) for racing/track use. The brow on the 1000 is thick to accomodate the flip down visor (like Big G said) and this can compromise your vision when tucked. the helmeet is also a little heavier than more sport oriented helmets.

10. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I tried the EXO-400 at Tally. Being a long time Arai guy the 400 is a very impressive helmet for $100.

11. Cuddles de Sade

Cuddles de Sade AnACREE in the UK!!!

tried one of Doh's 700's and ended up buying one...close-out for like $110 from STG. hard to beat for the dosh.

12. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

The Scorpion Helmets have really penetrated the racing community the last 2 years. We love the Scorpion here at STG. Most of us have one and ride in them with zero complaints. I have 2 400's myself now and a crashed out 700.

We can deliver like 6 Scorpion 400's for the same we can do a Arai Corsair V for. The best part it is a great helmet, you do not really sacrafice much end of the day.

13. Brian Van

Brian Van Track Gear Retailer

The EXO-1000 Helmet is a street helmet. Lots of cool features to make the ride better. I would not recommend one if you intend to use it on the track or if you ride in a tuck on the freeway as the brow thickness does restrict vision in a tuck.