The WERA Race atmosphere...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Feb 10, 2009.

1. You really can't beat it. :up:

The Tally opener started off shitty for me. I tucked the front on my ZX6R in the chicane during the MW Solo race. Then the left rearset (Gilles) on my R1 completely broke in half during the HW Solo. :confused: I went to downshift and there was nothing there, it just shattered. So a tucked front and a broken rearset caused my weekend to start with 2 DNF's.

After those races, within 30min there were about 7 different people (4 of whom I had never met) running all over the pits trying to find a rearset for my R1.

There were several people (friends and other racers) all over my ZX6R like a swarm of bees trying to get it fixed so I could race Sunday. My best friend Jimmy got it fixed for me with the help of Chris Pettit.

During the weekend, several racers were giving me tips on different lines around the track etc. Chris Pettit and I were battling for 3rd in the B-SB race. I took over 3rd in Lap 8...only to have Chris retake 3rd in the final lap. :(

Once the race was over, Chris congratulated me and then we talked about the race. He told me why he was able to make the pass on me and how I could prevent it in the future.

Throughout the racing industry, how many racers will actually help their competitor get around the track faster and then explain to them why they got passed and how to keep it from happening again?

You hear people say "WERA events are like a family atmosphere"...that really is true. A guy I battled with all weekend helped me get my front tire changed so we could go out and battle some more.

The weekend started shitty for me, but i ended up with two 5th places and a 4th on Sunday. I know that isn't anything to write home about, but it is a decent start to my season. So overall, it was a weekend full of great weather, racing and fun.

Thanks to everyone. :up:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  2. studio819

studio819 Well-Known Member

The team of guys I come down and support from Seattle and Portland feel the same way. Anytime someone has needed a hand we have only needed to give a shout in the pit area and folks are there with tools and parts in hand.

3. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Yeah this was the first weekend I raced with WERA and I went there with a bum clutch on my CBR and there were more than 5 people saying "come over here and we'll fix it". Got it fixed and then tore the gasket and got flagged off the track and couldn't race it. But hey we tried.

I'm the same way, hell I've loaned my bike to my friend to race while I didn't race so he could keep in the hunt with points. I wasn't going to be competitive anyway but he was going for the Championship. But really. That's what racing is all about.

4. GixxerRacer371

GixxerRacer371 Well-Known Member

Hey Chris...... Troy Green has some sweet Graves rearsets for sale if you are interested. He lives like 10 minutes from me and I imagine he can overnight them to you if you wanted. http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=202506

5. royalgixxer

royalgixxer The Bodywork Guy

I guess you got that transponder base cause I never heard from you. I also feel the same way about WERA. The people ROCK.

6. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Well we got him going and you did great. Can't wait for the next race!!!! I had a good time and I didn't even race

7. Aaron71

Aaron71 BEEMER

+1
    I had a great time even if I didn't race...Still trying to get my R6 built to race specs.

See you guys in Nashville!:up:

8. GixxerRacer371

I hear Formula 40 calling your name! :Poke:

9. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Ive been feeling that too. But i dont know where to start

10. GixxerRacer371

I think you already have all that you need.... just have to do some race prep on the 600 (safety wiring etc) then take an approved WERA race school..... then it's just a matter of going racing!:rock:

11. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

I got a 750. So if I go to a school in Feb I could race at Nashville in April

12. GixxerRacer371

I'm pretty sure WERA and CMRA are similar in how they operate... not sure how much the race license with WERA cost but yeah pretty much thats all there is too it. I'm sure Mongo can give you all the info you need.:up:

13. boxx620

boxx620 Well-Known Member

Thanks Chaotic for the report. I am new to WERA and I've heard everyone is great. I've raced motocross for years, and thats how the MX atmosphere was too. I'm glad that I'm coming into a new sport that has the same kind of people. I grew up drag racing (cars), and lemme tell ya..... They are nothing like mx and road race people. Completely opposite!! Me and my father would help people push their cars while waiting in the staging lanes, but when it came time to push our own, not a SINGLE person would offer help. If you broke a part, forget borrowing one. Go home.
    I'm looking forward to meeting and racing many of you!!

14. JimboC

JimboC Well-Known Member

Ill see what i can find out:up:

15. Chris P

Chris P Well-Known Member

I was just glad to be able to help out. You never know when the shoe will be on the other foot!

I see that you got down into the 3's...good job! See you at Nashvegas!!

16. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

The atmosphere is so awesome. I blew my motor and the lucas oil guys stayed up until 2 in the morning helping me put in the replacement motor!

Think about that...2 in the morning, when they had to race too!

17. Palanon

Palanon Well-Known Member

THAT is what racing is all about! Work your ass of and give anything you can to help someone in the paddock make the grid...and then try to beat them on track, were it counts.

I wish A certain fan, could get that concept.

18. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I can`t wait for March and VIR. Def doin SSB MW and maybe BSB.

19. raceon2

raceon2 Timmay!!!!!!

Another Feel Good Story

I battled with James Stroud all weekend and it was great but after 2nd race on Sunday my clutch went out on my 1000. Guess who was there to change it for me. James Stroud!! Knowing full well that the next two races of the day he and I would be racing for it.

He won one and I won the other but I would still have been in the pits if he had not helped me!!!!

Thanks James

20. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I think I'm going to lock this thread. I teared up a little bit reading it.