New to Racing!

Discussion in 'General' started by yamaha_intern, Jan 20, 2009.

1. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

Considering his experience (both dirt and lack of street) I would recommend a motard to get acquainted with road racing. MUCH cheaper to maintain and crash, plus it gets him used to road racing on a platform that's familiar.

You can grab a great deal on a 426 Yamaha supermoto for mega cheap this time of year. www.supermotojunkie.com

God, i can't imagine taking your first streetbike ever and doing a race, or even a race school. Even track day orgs want people to have significant street experience before signing up for the Novice class.

2. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Yes sir. I drive about one and a half hours to get my daughter each week. It's better than paying child support. It's my daughter...I would drive 6 hours a week if needed.:eek:

3. TheJames

TheJames Feelin lucky?

dude just jump in. balls to the wall. colin went from novice to pro in like 3 months. finishing a club race can't be THAT hard.

4. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Oh, ok. I didn't realize you were in the northern-ish part of KY. That makes more sense ;)

5. yamaha_intern

yamaha_intern Money cant buy knives

Yea I go to kettering university. How'd you know that?

6. yamaha_intern

and kanatuna, turns out I cant make it to jennings because I have to work. Im bummed out because it sounded pretty sweet, but maybe we can go to another race some other time. Ill proabably be doin my school in april now

7. A.R.K.

A.R.K. Well-Known Member

Your first weekend racing go with a friend that has raced and is willing to lead you around a bit in reguards to registration, tech, ect. untill you see how things flow then its no big deal. Its a lot to take in at first.

8. wsmc834@hotmail

wsmc834@hotmail mikee martin

Hey bud

Whats up. My name is Mikee Martin and I own Seaside Superbikes. If you would like to come to the track with me I would be glad to help you get your feet wet. Check out my blog on myspace, last month (Jan. 2009) I brought a newbee with me to Willow Springs and he got his race licence and a 4th place finish in open novice after only 2 other trackdays beforehand. I also shoot video for Visionwells photo at selected Keigwin at the track days here in Cali. If you would like more info feel free to give me a call at 831 760 2701 (9-5). I would be happy to help you out or point you in the right direction. I live in Central Cal. 10 min. from Laguna Seca.

9. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

Well shit....there ya go man. lol

Yea, we will meet up sometime I'm sure.

10. tittys04

well you said something about being in WI for 6 mo and MI for 6 mo, and your name is yamaha intern... and kettering is the only school that I know of that has that type of a program.

....oh yeah, and maybe because I spent four years in that shite hole myself, I know a miserable kid when I see one....haha

11. yamaha_intern

haha thats awesome. Ive only been there for one term so far. When did you graduate? and where'd you work at?

12. tittys04

Graduated in December. If you've only been there one term, GET OUT NOWWWWW. If you don't, you will remember my advice and want to burn your face off thinking about how you didn't listen to me. :)

I worked for Air International in Auburn Hills doing HVAC stuff for GM... but I hated it so now I'm thinking government jobs, maybe armed forces or something.

13. yamaha_intern

lol your probably right, but im gonna stick with it for now becasue I have a pretty sweet Co-op working for yamaha. I pretty much only went to kettering becuase of the yamaha job. I dont really like the schooling.

14. tittys04

trust me... those were the exact thoughts I had when I started. By the end... I was the most bitter person alive.

Don't say I didn't warn ya ;)

just curious... what degree, me?

15. yamaha_intern

yea Im doin a ME and business minor.