Barnacle Bill is in the Dark

Discussion in 'General' started by Spyderchick, Jan 27, 2009.

1. We're currently hosting some ice-storm refugees from Madisonville, KY. That area of the state experienced massive infrastructure damage, to the point where the town is essentially uninhabitable. Our guests have been told that they probably won't be able to return home for at least a week, and they probably won't be able to stay - normal services (reliable electricity, phone, water) may take several more weeks to get back in operation. Other services such as schools, garbage collection, etc. are pretty much out of action for an indefinite period of time.

2. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

Thanks for the advice. I'm headed out shortly.

3. barnacle bill

barnacle bill Darethea and B Bill

update from b bill

yes, pretty much what people have said. rural areas are hit the hardest. towns with many trees are too but most of them are gettiing services restored . most towns have one or two service stations up and running and they are busy. shortages of kerosene and diesel. I saw several tanker trucks bringing in gasoline though. I got fuel for the generators and really glad I cut wood last summer. I am cutting myself out and in because trees are still falling. I repaired the damage to the shop roof but still have many tree limbs to clean up , just been doing the minumum waiting for the ice to melt for they are so heavy. phone line is on emreergency power too. they have a generator powering the substation down the road so it goes dead when the fuel runs out. generators and kerosene heaters are the big items and are coming and going quickly. I actually had a WERA racer come in from New York City yesterday walking in through the down trees to get measured up for a new suit. I was impressed to say the least. I had to disconnect my service line thursday night to prevent a falling tree from pulling the service and end of the house out. easier to connect a line than replace rebuild a service box. our transmission lines down the road are down with many poles snapped off. we don't have it so bad. many others are worse off . say a prayer for them. they say we may have more snow on monday. if this keeps up I am going to open "Barnacle Bill's Ski Lodge" and hiring Alexa to manage it. all the best. b bill and darethea

4. buxton

buxton Southern Canadian

We're saying a prayer for you, Bill.

Take care.

Dawn :up:

5. YAM#849

Wishing you the best, Bill. I'm in Murray for the weekend helping my parents. Luckily, power is back on here in town. On the roads in Graves and Carlisle counties, I'd say 40% of the power poles may be broken, lines on the ground everywhere. I'm guessing weeks before power is restored to some rural areas.

6. Slick Sunday

Slick Sunday Member

Hey Bill,
    If you or the fam need a hand with anything, materials or labor wise gimme a shout.

Slick aka Aaron

7. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I drove thru on Thursday and saw bucket trucks from SC, IL and MI all working in KY. I saw lots of trees down on the freeway but they had been pushed to the side of the road. They got hit hard.

8. Demon DS7

Demon DS7 Well-Known Member

We just got power back on in our section of town(Danville Ky.)
    I spent the morning cutting up tree limbs and stacking them for pick up.
    Parts of Western Boyle county which isn't to far from Bill have lights on for now.
    Hang in there Bill help is a'coming!!!!:up::up:

9. YAM#849

The magnitude of the damage is amazing. I've seen cat 3 hurricanes that didn't put this many trees and power poles on the ground. And it's a widespread area that's affected. There were crews from Cullman, AL in my Mom's yard in Murray KY yesterday. Hats off to all those who help! :up:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2009
  10. Spyderchick

Spyderchick Leather Goddess

The worst natural disaster in Kentucky history. They've called in the National Guard Army and Air units.

Damn that sux. Bill, get your damn phone line working again. I miss our talks and your bad singing and dancing routines. Hope all is well down there. At least you had some temps to melt that ice.

11. barnacle bill

still rough

I am still cutting up and hauling it to the barn and the brush piles are gorwing. still on generator power but the shop is up and running and I sewed today and UPS can come and go again. we were hit very hard ( because we live in the woods? duh? I know) but a lot of people have it harder than us. national guard came up today and were shocked by the amount of damage we had . slowly but surely we are coming back. yeah Alexa you like that singing don't ya? all the best. b bill and darethea

12. UKTURFROCKS

UKTURFROCKS Well-Known Member

There are still some with out power. I was fortunate and didnt lose power but it was a nasty storm. hope everyone made it out and thru safe

13. barnacle bill

utilities

power company came by today. they are slowly working toward us. we have a mile of line down and 4 poles broken over very rough terrain on our branch transmission lines. I couldn't get an answer but I feel it will be sometime next week before our power is back on . still got some work in today and cleared some down trees too. things are slowly coming around. just really cold weather the next few days. brrrrr! all the best. b bill and darethea

14. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Bill if by chance my suit your working on got damaged is any way shape or form due to the storm, feel free to replace it with one of your custom suits! :D

I will keep my fingers crossed! :beer:

15. barnacle bill

update

no such luck forceten. all the suits were in another part of the shop safe. actually the damge was contained to just the metal rood and the drywall. all the framing and contents were missed. still looked wierd seeing that huge limb trunk standing straight up through the ceiling from the floor. got it out and sealed by up in a few hours. insurance man done working on it. we are still without power. hope it comes soon too. still feeding the generator but it's not that bad. miss the hot shower and clothes dryer. heating everything on the woodstove . foods pretty good too.got in my first full day in the shop since the storm but also my first fuyll day without Booger laying near my feet too :( yours is coming up . I'll give you a holler tomorrow if the phones hold up. they are on generators too down at panel box. all the ebst. b bill ( staqrting to feel like on that survivor show)