1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

If there were a Cannonball Run for bikes...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Jan 20, 2009.

1. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I would go one further and say a new concours 14 with a turbo. Shit, i bet that bike would cruise comfy at 150mph stock.

2. Spot

Spot Well-Known Member

So I shouldn't sell the R1:confused: I'd definitely do it on that. Plenty fast and not too bad on gas.

Make a BIG gas tank, paint it flat black, quite slip-ons, and a kill switch for the lights (would make it a lot easier to dodge the cops.)

Sleep in the day, ride all night...

Hell yea!!! I'm in:beer:

3. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

That's called a stunt. You can go cross country on a lawn mower, doesn't mean you want to.

A busa that's properly set up is ok. I have heli bars, corbin, etc. on mine and it's not a bad place at all to spend some time. It's not quite as comfy as my ST, but it's certainly no torture rack. Keeping tires on it would be the problem. I've made one rear practically disappear just from Atlanta to Jekyll Island, as once they get warm they just start coming off in rolls (and I wasn't going THAT fast, either).

4. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

I've done a reasonable amount of long distance riding and your statement is totally false. I also know many other people who have done the same who keep your statement false.

You don't have to be sitting upright. And you don't need a bunch of wind protection. You need to be comfortable on your bike and that can mean alot of things.

The very fact you don't have a a FJR1300 and you talk about your buddy having on tells me you haven't done much long distance riding either.

Head on over to http://www.sport-touring.net if you want an education.

5. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

C'mon guys, can't we at least disagree in an agreeable manner?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

he's an opinionated idiot. always has been.

7. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

I've also done a reasonable amount of long distance touring and I couldn't imagine doing something like this and not sitting relatively upright and having less wind protection than my FJR (with a slightly oversized shield) has. I've heard it'll top out at a touch over 150 in stock form.

8. Spot

Spot Well-Known Member

Well then there’s only one way to settle this…
    Who can we get to put up the purses :D

9. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Spent a week or two at a time on the FJR. Spents lots of multiple-weeks on the R1100RS and R1150RS. 7~800 mile days are the norm. The Beemers' somewhat sporting position are more comfortable for me day after day after day.

10. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

It's a throttle pinned, all out run..no sleeping.

11. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

I'll take the 250 m.p.h Rc51 That guy had in Minn. I'll be drunk on Yuengs. by the time you squids get there..

12. 50Joe

50Joe Registered User

You sir are an idiot. You have no idea who or what you are talking about. Have you done an 8,000 mile trip in less than a month? I have. Have you ridden non-stop from SC to Upstate NY to visit family multiple times (800 miles one way)? I have. How many sport touring bikes have you owned? I've owned 5 BMW's, 2 different ST1100's. An Aprilia Futura. I've ridden a very wide variety of bikes. Tried to ride true sport bikes long distances, etc. The only reason I don't own an FJR is because I'm spending more money on racing versus touring so I'll stick with my 160,000 mile ST1100 and Aprilia Futura for now.

I'm sure I've logged close to 200k miles on the street by now. I currently ride everyday including cold days like today (17 degrees). You really need to get a clue before you type shit like this. Now, go away back into your hole and shut up.

13. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Don't do that...I was gong about 145 on an FJ1200 years ago, and one of the straps on the soft bags broke shifting the bags over one side na dsending one into the rear wheel...not cool. Luckily for me it just ruined the bag, but that coulda been bad.

re: the Cannonball, I'd do it on an FJR1300 or Concours. the extra time I could spend in the saddle compared to a less comfortable bike would easily overcome the speed deficit to 'Busas et al.

14. (diet)DrThunder

That's a good point...if I really had the stones to go 170 all day I guess a ZX-14 would be the proper weapon.

I know we're not really being pragmatic here, but if we were...can a chain go that fast for that long? How about a rear tire? If you were really serious, you'd probably need to bring a chain and the tools to change it, and make a mount on the bike for a 2nd rear wheel, and carry a pre-mounted wheel/tire combo with you...maybe even 2. I've never tried to go 3,000 miles at 175, but I imagine it would really kick the tire's ass.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes, all of the equipment can handle it - think along the lines of a 24 hour races, running cross country won't be as hard on the bikes as being raced would.

16. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Bet it would with your big a$$ on it :D

17. Palanon

Palanon Well-Known Member

I'd do it on my Bandit with a set of hard bags. More comfy for me than a Busa.

In a Cannonball Run, you wouldn't be able to run flat out most of the time. Cops don't even give the Bandit a second glance. Think stealth.

If the route had a lot of city, urban and mountain running, I'd give my 1982 CB 900 C a go. Great ergonomics, 10 speed transmission, shaft drive and a nearly bullet proof engine.

18. (diet)DrThunder

I think a real-world test is definitely in order :)

I am certain that at least one tire change would be needed...sustained 170+ would make the center of the tire really really hot (and ht ebike would be 2x the weight of a race bike). I'll take your word for it on the chain. I've ridden x-country before and destroyed a chain, but it was a crappy one and it probably had lots of miles on it already, so that's not meaningful.

19. LookOutRossi

LookOutRossi Banned

how about an underground post gnf wera race.:D no points. just cash at the finish line. lots of cash. if you get pulled over, you're disavowed:Pop:

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'd got for a harder compound on the tire for sure, might even talk to Walt et al about a race tire with a hard compound center and softer sides. Granted sustained 170 isn't going to be possible so it might not be an issue. I'd figure on a normal 90-100 with much slower and faster bursts when necessary/possible.