1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Papa Pledge

Discussion in 'General' started by aod99, Nov 27, 2002.

1. aod99

aod99 Administrator

I got this brand new Dell Notebook. I mean, brand stinkin new in the wrapper. NIC, Modem, nice screen, the whole kit and kaboodle. 1.2ghz blah blah blah.

This notebook cost about $1,200. Here is what we're gonna do.

We are going to do a little AOD WERA BBS challenge.

AOD puts up this $1,200 Dell Notebook.

The rest of you collectively put up $2,400.

Army Of Darkness will throw in this brand new $1,200 notebook computer AND we'll load up the software and configure the network settings.

So, make your pledges in the Papa Pledges thread. Hit the "quote reply", add your pledge to the bottom and someone (I nominate LAG) periodically add them all up.

When the total surpasses $2,400 the cash and the notebook computer go to Papa. The extra money will go a long way towards Rehabilitation Engineering. That is basically using remote control stuff for assistance.

To actually send in your pledge, let's run it through the TSRIF. Send the checks to Steve with Papa in the note field.

Here is the address to send your checks
    TSR Injury Fund
    45485 Baggett Terr
    Sterling , VA 20166

2. mad brad

mad brad Guest

$1000.00

next? :)

3. mad brad

mad brad Guest

just got a PM pledging 50.00. anyone else tonight? come on folks!!!

4. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

I can spare $50.00

Check will be in the mail on Monday.
    I get paid this weekend.

5. Chubby Huggs

Chubby Huggs Guest

$50 from Rikki, Craig, Titain, Gordon and Solo.

Merry Christmas Papa & Liz

6. Photo_Chick

Photo_Chick Leo's Wench!

You have mail....

7. 1slowguy

1slowguy Well-Known Member

I'll send in 50 as well...

8. aod99

aod99 Administrator

How much you got Brad?

Renaissance Man says he's in for $100.

So...I think we are at $1,300 or so?

Brad, you must really miss argueing with Papa.

9. mad brad

mad brad Guest

oh i do. i mean, yelling at you guys is fun but, papa made me earn it!!!

10. mad brad

mad brad Guest

i got another pledge for 100.00. that is 1150.00 on this end. anyone else? 10, 20, 30, 50. 100? antone can pm me and i'll collect!!

11. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

$50 from me as well.

12. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

I am in for 50. I can't send it until next Friday. Things have been a little tight since the layoff but it's getting better now with a new gig.

13. SpEd

SpEd poor impulse control

When it is time to get software let me know and I will see if I can get it sourced through work at a better price.

14. Madmike

Madmike Drunk Member

Mongo.
    It would be a good idea if this got stuck.
    More people see, the better.

15. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Sam, Brad and everyone else:

I just heard about this thing and wanted to clear something up. The reason I haven't yet bought and set up a computer with voice recognition software is because I have lost interest, not because I couldn't buy one. The gifts I have received from the motorcycle community either directly or through fundraisers could have bought me enough computer power to run the department of defense. I feel guilty at the thought that someone is launching another fundraiser. If you guys want to do something for me, please do the following:

A NESBA member was injured at VIR after me and he's currently in worse shape than I am. I beleive you can find the information on a thread at NESBA.com . His name is Linwood Brinkley. If you guys ask Steve to send his sister your contributiions rather than to me - I promise to get off my ass eventually and get a computer myself. In fact, Steve Clark has already spent a number of hours trying to set up VIA VOICE on the laptop I'm currently using. The only thing that has prevented a successful installation of this "other" software is that piece of crap that Microsoft calls Windows 98. I'll get something with Windows XP and install Naturally Speaking (which is a much more comprehensive piece of software).

I hope you guys are not offended by my suggestion, I really appreciate the offer, but, in this case I really believe someone deserves it more than I do. Brad - thanks for putting up such a generous gift once again. You never cease to surprise me. Sam - I'll take you up on the technical assistance. mbmotorsports - I will probably contact you, too, in regards to your offer. Again, thanks to everyone. This kind of bond between racers is the reason I couldn't quit the sport every time I thought about doing so.

Papa

16. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Yo Papa

Did I say that this notebook already has XP on it?

I think over the next month I am going to have some time to mess with it when, usually, I am to busy replying to angry emails about articles I wrote for Roadracing World.

We'll get it set up on this notebook, if you want to switch to a different platform later we can image the HD and put it on whatever you want. No problem.

If nothing else it can be an interim step and you can find out what does and does not work with the set up for version 2.0.

And don't let MB foist one of those Hawk powered chairs on you...make sure you get the SV model...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2002
  17. aod99

aod99 Administrator

Also...

Pitliz and Papa,

No one here thinks you are whining for help. There are lots of people here who want to help but don't know how. Let us help a little. It ain't no big thing.

My attitude is, I'd rather give you a notebook with XP on it than have to spend another minute trying to figure out how to uninstall "Spanish for Dummies" on your old one.

18. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

here's mine

$100 from Shane, Maria & Nina Williams
    Steve, I will contact soon.

19. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

I show $1600 so far. Sam, what are we doing here? Are we still going with your original plan or doing what Papa asked?

20. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Papa - with all due respect for you being hurt and all - fuck off. We're doing this for us not you, our community without you is not the same as with you, deal with it. The lack of interest bullshit is not an acceptable excuse, if you have a better one go for it but the bullshit meter is pegged right now.

Sam and/or Brad - I'm in for $100. If you run short let me know, I'll find more if I need to.