1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How old when you started racing?

Discussion in 'General' started by jrgixxer, Dec 5, 2008.

1. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

That's because their fast kids are all busy doin homework and playing video gams...

2. CRA_Fizzer

CRA_Fizzer Honking at putter!

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

The bigger the talent, the less likely they are to be posting here. :D

There are exceptions, but for the most part they don't spend a lot of time (posting) here once they go pro.

4. caferace

caferace No.

That, and the Beeb should carry either an NC17 or Unrated logo. :D

-jim

5. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

:crackup:

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Sir, I salute you! [​IMG]

7. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

8. f4capt

f4capt Zoinks!

39. Ran full season at 40.

9. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

yep, on both points. :up:

10. TTR174

TTR174 Rescue and restoration of 60's and 70's bikes

I bought my first street bike in June 2002, new Triumph Speed Four, promptly drove it to Road America the next day to watch the AMA Races. Signed up for a track day at Gingerman in the fall, went back two weeks later for another day. Came home and ordered a 2003 ZX-6RR. I then took the licensing school at Blackhawk in the, ahem Spring (44 degrees with a light mist) on the Speed Four since the Kawi wasn’t in yet.

First race was at Road America, knocked myself out under the old bridge in my third race. Full schedule in 2004, half season in 2005, limited schedule in 2006 then turned pro in 2007. Having started later in life was primarily due to the funds. I was fortunate enough to spend the first three years with my dad at every race. I once asked him, why he never helped me start racing at an earlier age, like 15-16. His response was “I didn’t know about it and we didn’t have any money.” He did end up buying a TZ125 and doing a little racing, basically because he was tired of watching me have all the fun.

11. Frenchier6

Frenchier6 I'm just being me

:bow:

12. Jordan

Jordan Well-Known Member

this was my first season so 20 and im about to be 21 in 2 weeks :beer::D

Last edited: Dec 7, 2008
  13. prb110

prb110 Well-Known Member

in 1968 my brother and I started at 14. just did 1st track days in 06 at 53.
    my son started street at 14 and 1st WERA race last yr at 17.

14. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

33. Crashed my streetbike in December 03. Bought a used SV a few months later and ran with it.

15. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

i got my race license at 33 in 2003 at the end of the season. my first year as a novice was 2004(34). i went expert in 2005 as fast as i could. didn't like those yellow plates. got enough points in my first season to get my ama license and did my first ama race(road atl.) at the end of my first expert season. very surreal. i knew going into it how old i was and where i really wanted to go w/ this sport. for 15 years, i was the guy at the track that hung on the fence, wishing i could do that shit. stalking mother fuckers for autographs. i am by no means fast on any account. i know my roll. but, for me to get the chance to get faster, every weekend, w/ the fastest cats in america.....i can't even begin to tell ya'll how much fun, and how lucky i am. i only hope i can race as long as possible. i can't imagine life w/out being able to go to the track and ride. i've got some killer pics i'll post when i find them from that race. i was like a dream. me and mark brereton did that race together. i'll never forget......

16. skip salenius

skip salenius Well-Known Member

here...........that's spies on a yosh 600 and geoff may on the m4 bike. tripped out!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2011
  17. Wade Parish

Wade Parish North Central Hawker

Street - 27
    Trackday - 31
    Race - 34

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

BMX at around 7 or 8, motorcross a few months later which led to drit track a year or two after.

19. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Moto-X 12.... Road Racing 35.

(spoken like Arnold..) Do it! Do it now!

20. Yamaha Fan

Yamaha Fan Well-Known Member

Raced bicycles at 15, first motorcycle race was 17, Maico 125 (MX) 1975, First pavement was a drag race on a KZ650 in 1976, followed by my first roadrace, a 4 hour endurance at PBIR the same year. Actually worked on Sam Williams (Fireball) H1 back in the day. Crewed on my mentors 2 time national championship H1 for a few years. Purchased a TZ250 in 1978, ran it in the AMA as an amateur won a few local races finished on the podium at Daytona in 1979. Quit racing personally in 1980 to work on MX bikes professionally, ran the odd woodsman MX race here and there for a few years. Started roadracing again in 2000 with the vintage group, for the most part it has been an absolute blast!