Here's to the Greatest Land in the World

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Steeltoe, Nov 5, 2008.

1. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I respectfully request that you always refer to yourself as "The Mongo".

Just for the comedic aspect of it.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The Mongo will work on not allowing that lapse to happen in the future.

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

:D

4. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That was just during the election. :D

5. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

Day before yesterday I was hauling my recycle bin to the curb and my next door neighbour struck up a conversation. I politely asked if he was following the US election at all, and within a few minutes he was citing all kinds of obscure political stats and then he started on about which countys in which swing states would be the best indicators to watch for last night.

My neighbour is black so of course this has special significance for him but I think it has for everyone. Dems claimed Obama was “transformational.” I think in a way his winning is confirmational.. “Yes you can” is no longer just a silly campaign slogan. That is very cool and for sure the entire planet was paying attention.

6. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

The purpose of poll taxes in the south may have been to prevent blacks from voting, but I believe it had the same effect for poor people in general. Poll taxes weren't limited to blacks, nor were they a new invention, they were used in colonial times to protect the power base of the wealthy.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Now that another election cycle is over we can all relax and breath again. (I think.) Even though I didn't vote for Obama I'm proud to see him get elected. We're off in another direction, and it's a little bit exciting. The political rhetoric was brutal. Well, maybe not. To those of us that tend to be a bit "older" the rhetoric wasn't much worst, if any, than previous elections. We had a good voter turnout that almost equaled the 1960 election. (a Catholic Kennedy)

I can only hope that the Republicans will attempt to work with Obama and not end up with the political lockup that has been occurring for the past few years. It has always seemed to me that fighting with those across the isle, just because they belong to another political party, was rather stupid, and self centered. Either way, the US will continue to be, by far, the best country in the world to live in.

(I've preached enough. Now back to the political rhetoric.):)

8. In Your Corner

It seems they already are. Word has it they are giving Obama's advisors final word on the people appointed to carry out the Big Bailout.

9. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

6 percentage points nationally = ass whippin'.

John McCain did give a fantastic speech though. Made me think of the '02 J-Mac I liked. Hopefully now that the election is over, he can drop the pretense (no need to appeal to the right-wingers any more) and be himself again. That would be fantastic :up:

10. In Your Corner

rrinnggg

John? What do I do here?

Son, you're on your own.

Apologies to Mel Brooks.

11. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

And the 2 party system marches on.