1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any electricians in the house?

Discussion in 'General' started by eroge, Oct 17, 2008.

1. eroge

eroge Well-Known Member

Got a question for an electrician or anyone that knows more than I do on the subject, (which is almost anyone.......lol!) Anyway I just hooked up an old kitchen range/ oven at the shop to attempt some powdercoating. I had to increase the depth by about 4". I am trying to coat a car rim and the oven is taking a long time to come up to temp. The elements are both good. My question is; Is it possible to wire the upper and lower heating element together thus cutting in half the heat up time? The stove is on a dedicated 60 amp breaker w/ 220v. I know someone from the almighty WERA BBS can give me an answer!!

Thanks in advance,
    Ethan Wera #327nv

2. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Where's young Nick?

3. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

:D:D

4. whitey21

whitey21 umm...yeah.

todd clark is one i think but that doesn't mean he knows what he is talking about.

5. TGZ

TGZ New Member

Local 3 they squat when they pee!

6. Chris

Chris Keepin' it old school

What's the worst that could happen? :D

7. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

What do you mean by increasing depth 4" and how did you do that?

8. eroge

eroge Well-Known Member

I cut out the back of the oven and extended it 4" with sheet metal and welded all the seams so that there are no holes. Essentially I replaced the whole rear wall of the oven

9. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

I may have the answer*, and the secret is more juice. I would wire the two heating coils together and then wire them, and everything else together into one big wire. Hook that directly into the circuit breaker. Just in case, also join to several car batteries and any other sources of power you have access to. When you throw the switch, stand safely to the side and insulate your feet by surrounding them with water.

*I am not a certified electrician.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Did you replace the insulation you removed?

11. eroge

eroge Well-Known Member

Whitey, Shouldn't you be working or something?:)

12. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Just a certified idtio.:D

13. eroge

eroge Well-Known Member

Most but not all. Was thinking that that was there to keep the outside of the appliance from getting hot, more than heat in. Does this make a big difference?

14. wmcphee89

wmcphee89 Well-Known Member

More power does not equal more heat, it means your over working your wires beyond resistance and you will fry the wires or cause a fire, insulate it better! And if need be add another element into the oven and wire it into the series!

Basically you'll be changing it from a parallel circuit into a series circuit, nothing wrongs with that you'll control both elements from one switch, but you may cause too much voltage threw the wires that may/maynot have enough resistance,
    Its just easier to add another element and insulate it better

Last edited: Oct 17, 2008
  15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

It does both. It will make a difference. I don't know how much.

Check your voltage and amperage at the outlet. If you used wire that is too small or have a long run from the panel to the outlet, you may not be getting adequate current.

16. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

That was evident at the middle of the second sentence. :D

17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I see we are on the same thought path.

18. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

It will make a big difference but is probably not the only issue here.

19. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

Not the first? :D

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

No no... more juice is a common term with licensed electricians. :D