1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earplugs and You: Yes? or No?

Discussion in 'General' started by vonstallin, Sep 16, 2008.

?

Earplugs: Yes or No???????

1. No Moe…I don’t wear earplugs at all.

21.6%
  2. Yes I wear earplugs to concentrate while racing.

66.2%
  3. Yes I wear earplugs: My Pipe is so loud im going def.

19.2%
  4. I sneak and wear my MP3 Player while I race:shhhhhh! Don’t be a snitch bitch Moe!

1.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Russell2566

Russell2566 Chicken Strips are Yummy

I have to wear ear plug for concentration. On those times when I've done a practice session and forgotten them; I can actually hear the abuse that I'm putting my bike through and it makes me cry a little on the inside :)

2. R Acree

R Acree Banned

For me, ear plugs are part of normal safety gear for every ride.

3. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I wore earplugs every day, 10 hours a day, for 10 of the last 12 years. Only since I got an office job have I not had earplugs in while earning my check. From pounding rivets in an airplane 5 days a week to working inside of an aluminum boat, my ears hurt when I get around concussive sounds and high pitched noise. The wind drone really puts pressure in the old ears, so if I am wearing a helmet, street or track or dirt, the plugs go in. Like others have posted, once you find a particular plug that works, stick with it. I use the 3M 1100 plug and it is not uncomfortable for me at all. Also, my wife has sleep apnea, and before she got the CPAP machine I had to wear earplugs every night, all night, just to get a couple hours of sleep. I love that CPAP machine.

4. pouchkangaroo

pouchkangaroo Banned

I use one of these: http://earplugstore.stores.yahoo.net/bablnasopl.html
    They work really well reducing dB but still allow you to hear the engine sound.
    They are washable and of course reuseable.
    I don't like riding and not able to hear the engine so these are good solution for me.

5. DaddyPhatSaks

DaddyPhatSaks Well-Known Member

I try to wear them, but my ears are small. By the time I get them in good and tight, when I put my helmet on, it pulls them out. Pain in the ass. I need to find the ones I can mold in my ear.

6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I have not worn any to date... But I think I will get into the habit of wearing them this coming season...

7. Shane Hucks

Shane Hucks Active Member

I use to have this same problem, so I bought the yellow bullet looking plugs, took a pair of scissors and cut a little off one end and bang, problem solved.

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Nasty thing about hearing loss is it is irreversible. Protect it before it is gone.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, boss lady has to trim hers too.

10. pouchkangaroo

pouchkangaroo Banned

Would it grow back if it's not done/trim right?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Better not go there Pouch.

12. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You've got a couple minutes to explain what you mean in english....

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: pouch FTW!

14. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Anyone who rides any motorcycle apart from a Gold Wing style (as in totally protected from wind) is suffering permanent hearing loss after just a few minutes of riding. There is no reason not to wear them, as yo can hear the stuff you need to hear better on the street or on the track, and they cost about $.30/pair or some such.

I spent the first several years of my riding life not wearing them, and even though I was wearing a properly fitting quality full-face helmet, I suffered significant hearing loss over that time. I have a hell of a time understanding people talking if there is background noise, and I have tinnitus that never goes away. I really wish I'd started wearing them earlier.

15. Transelement

Transelement pro set miner

so true...

16. james walker

james walker beat down, broken & busted

Pouch should be required to have a person with him at all times wearing one of those "I'm with stupid -->" shirts :D

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pouch had better respond quickly...

18. sideways_skinny

sideways_skinny i need about, tree-fitty

tried wearing plugs, and all kinds give me a headache, usually after the first 15 min. plus, my helmet isnt that noisy. i find that i can hear a lot more of what is going on without plugs in. i tried them once at the track, and i couldnt hear the bikes around me. dangerous when you cant hear the bike coming up the inside.

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Permanent hearing damage starts at about the 20-30 minute point in the ranges that motorcycle racing/riding produces. Up to that that timeframe it's typically temporary and will self correct. If your helmet has bad wind protection that permanent stuff starts sooner.

It is a proven fact that high noise affects concentration level and can even cause greater fatigue because of physical stress. The fatigue effects aren't very noticeable in those that are in pretty good physical shape since it is a slight effect. People like me(not in good shape) it is noticeable.

20. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

It's in your brain dude...it is easier to hear other bikes with plugs than without. You also can't hear your motor as well. Of course, of you don't wear them and you ride regularly, this won't be an issue for you in any case...give it a few years and you won't be able to hear anything anyway :)