1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Answering My Own Question on Palin

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by morbidelli17, Sep 10, 2008.

1. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

Nice another liberal quote "Take all the money we have used to plunder another nation and think how much good we could be doing at home." Awesome way to repeat mantra.
    You do realize that all the funds spent on Iraq and Afghanistan amounts to less than 2% of GDP? I am more curious how much we have squandered on usless social programs that do nothing but keep people on the system?
    I not once ever hear how much useless money the left wants to spend its always the rights fault.

2. YZFBeliever

YZFBeliever Well-Known Member

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

3. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

The sad thing is you really believe that the Washington DC shit is that simple.

The Dems with a decent majority will do exactly what they did when Clinton came in... pass rediculous tax hikes. Then people will wake up and give the control back to the Rebulicans and a Democratic President will then again be held in check from his own stupidity. Just like they did with Clinton. The checks and balances were restored to protect from the stupid. Worked fairly well. Clinton shut his trap and let Congress do their job then the war fucked it all up after Bush took over.

That being said, I would say we are going to get higher taxes regardless of who wins and who controls Congress. The only difference will be where and how much we increase taxes. Going to be a no brainer on that one.

4. edge23

edge23 Well-Known Member

Yes union greed, talk to my dad who has been apart of the UAW for almost 40 years, about it.

5. Robert

Robert Flies all green 'n buzzin

You're really arguing that being different from voters is an advantage?

So, the more different the better? Or some certain amount or type of difference is ideal?

6. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Well, half the population is female. Don't think the black represent the same proportion.

In this case, Palin will help the female repub soft vote.

7. morbidelli17

morbidelli17 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that feedback. I should have been more specific, in that I don't say that ALL women would find a Palin nomination irresistable for the reasons I stated. Clearly, women cover the entire range of personal experiences, and some - I know several - greeted the Palin nomination with hostility, feeling that they'd been insulted.

But in a country where all women are immersed in those representations of the "Good Woman," you're going to get a fair share of them who will find her attractive merely because she makes them feel good, not because of her ability to lead. And not only would she attract those voters, but there's nothing about her that is threatening to men, whereas Hillary did pose a threat to a patriarchal political system.

And when I mean "Palin," I mean the image, not the person. I don't know enough about her as a person to make any intelligent statements, but that really doesn't matter. We respond in this media environment to images and symbols, not real human beings.

Cultural studies always are a difficult field to work in because, as you said very clearly, you struggle to avoid generalizations. But that's how political consultants view us; not as individuals, but as part of voting blocs. That was how I meant to describe the voters that Palin attracts.

Still, it seems to me that Palin was a genius choice because of her (the image's) adherence to our cultural norms for female behavior, as well as a fig leaf of a political resume.

Thanks again for the comments.

Anyone who really thinks Obama's race is a benefit to him, please mail remaining crack to my P.O. box. No, wait, you won't have any left ...

8. YZFBeliever

The lowest 50% of earners (many are seniors) pay just under 3% of all federal income tax. the bottom 40% pay NO federal income tax. Under Obama's plan, almost all of them will initially get a tax increase, meaning they will start paying federal income tax. Obama's tax cut for 95% of Americans is not a cut at all, it will be in rebate (check) form.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Off the top of my head:
    1. Get rid of insurance companies, tort reform, seriously look at prescription pricing. Those guys have higher margins than oil.
    2. The economy is cyclical. It will adjust. Most of what is done to fix the economy ends up screwing it up. Reinstate regulations on mortgage lending.
    3. The cycling of the economy will take care of the jobs. We have been close to full employment for years. Until the last 6 months, if I had lost my job, I could have gotten work. It might not have paid what I want, but jobs were there. I've had vacancies that were difficult to because they are not high paying, but the benefits are good. People didn't want to work when they had less strenuous alternatives.
    4. I'd leave energy prices alone. IMHO, the prices need to stay high to reinforce that we need to change how we do things. If prices drop, then it is the 70's and early 80's all over again. We go back to our old way of big cars and even bigger houses. I would move to develop existing resources and alternatives to reduce our dependence on those who hate us.

10. YZFBeliever

11. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Where are the funds coming from for those schools that have facilities that rival colleges? What facilities are we talking about and why do the nearby schools not have enough money for basic supplies?

12. YZFBeliever

I am not sure by your statement if you took that personally. But I don't mean it as the fault of the workers, butthe fault of the union leaders. Unions have become more PAC's than anything.

13. tomastopher

tomastopher Well-Known Member

I am not talking about handouts i'm talking about funding oportunity. the reference to the war was more as an illustration of values in terms of what we are willing to fund as a nation and what we deem a waste of money. I just get a little worked up because i believe my nation has gone off the rails in my lifetime. maybe it was always this way but i don't remember it like that.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Very true. It affects it but definitely different proportion.

Do you(actually asked to all) think sexism is a bigger or smaller problem with regards to things like this as compared to the racism? I was trying to just think about my own experiences but can't really tell if women have become more equal or if black people have made the larger move.

15. tomastopher

The funds come from property taxes and are apportioned to the corresponding neighborhoods from which they came rather than the municipality. Take a ride past Torrey High over by Del Mar and then pick any public school in Southeast San Diego.

16. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Maybe you guys need to be placed under the court orders the SE has been under for the last few decades.

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

The proportion of racists and/or sexist enough to say: "I won't vote for___ because..." I would venture is the same on each side.

I have no numbers but my own experience on this...

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Stupid is fairly evenly distributed, IMHO.

19. tomastopher

:stupid::D

20. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

So why are there schools that don't have money for supplies?

Related but not directly: I remember when people use to bitch about what was spent on sports at my high school. They would come to the school board meetings raising hell because of the sports programs but their kids got suspended for blah blah blah so all they had to bitch about was money and sports. They shut their traps when they were shown the records where our sports programs were 100% self supported. Not a single dime came out of the school's budget for sports. This is the case in most districts in Arkansas and the same in most places I've been.

One thing that happened in Arkansas when I was in high school that is probably similar to how places like San Diego could have such a diversity of funding was in Newark, AR where Ark. Power & Light was building Arkansas Nuclear 3 & 4. It generated a huge influx of tax money into a small school district. The didn't even have a football team but purchased top of the line equipment to outfit a team, submitted a proposal for a 7 figure football complex and a very nice new gymnasium. The state quickly stepped in and said cool your jets. Keep it reasonable. I believe some of the moneys were re-distributed also. Hard to remember that far back.