1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

06 GSXR 600 Sputtering

Discussion in 'Tech' started by EnvyCycles, Aug 12, 2008.

1. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

I know this has been discussed several times now but I can not find a definitive answer.

Here is my deal;

I'm at the track and I come to turn 3 at Loudon and let off the throttle going into the turn and then I start to give it throttle and the bike starts to sputter and and it it just goes. It also does it at other spots on the track, seems like its like it happens when the RPMs are around 3.5k to 5k
    I dont use cheap gas and my fuel curve its almost perfect.
    We thought maybe the fuel pump was dirty and I took it apart and it was a little dirty and I cleaned it. Still does the same thing. I removed the Ignition module and it still does it.
    When I got the bike the exhaust valve was already removed.
    I did notice one time after I got back to the pits that the red light on the cluster was flashing, I made the mistake of turning the bike off and then I decided to check for codes and the only on there was c46 and I figured that was for the exhaust servo valve.

I hope I did it right to check for the codes. I jumped the plug and then started the enging and waited a few minutes and I didnt have anything other than the c46.

Whats causing this? I have asked several shops and techs and they dont know.

2. Tunersricebowl

Tunersricebowl Fog, onward through.

Just for fun, make it a tad richer at 1/16-1/8 throttle.

3. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

How can i do that with out a dyno?

4. Tunersricebowl

Dyno's don't change air/fuel ratio's, they measure torque.
    You are seeking better throttle response, not better redline HP numbers.
    However your system is adusted, add fuel at the smallest throttle opening.
    If you don't have the tools to do it, take it to somebody that does and have them add fuel to the curve at that point and test it at the track.

5. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

For some weird reason I can not duplicate the problem on the dyno. But it always happens on the track...
    This is so weird

6. Tunersricebowl

What brand of dyno?
    In addition, you should try to remember the exact rpm, gear and throttle opening where the problem happens to help the dyno operator focus in on THAT area.

7. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

250i, i told him it was happenning at around 3500 and throttle position was maybe about 1/4-1/2 turn.
    He played with it for a while and nothing.

8. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

I eliminated wire 30 from the ECU and now theres no codes. But the bike still has the problem...
    Anyone???

9. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

I can't help, but I had a similar problem at the track this past weekend. In third gear, at I think around 8-10 k rpm (well under redline) in third gear, accelerating, the bike acted as though I'd hit redline (sputtered, lost power) and the red light flashed. (If I shifted up to fourth, it ran fine, but the red light continued flashing). Pitted in, turned it off and on, light went out. It did it a couple more times, once without the light flashing, and then ran perfectly the rest of the weekend. It has a slip on Yosh R55 and a custom mapped power commander. :confused: This is a k7 gsxr 600

10. grich575

grich575 Well-Known Member

I am guessing you have a power commander since you said you have a custom map. If this is so - check the main plug going into the P/C and make sure it is in completely. My bike would sputter and shut off once every weekend and it was only just after corner entry when I would go to pick up the throttle. I went over everything and could not figure it out. 5 race weekends later I finally saw that the little clip that holds the plug in place was not completely hooked. I then push in on the plug and it goes in maybe a 1/16". I then zip-tie it all the way in hoping the I found the mysterious problem. Sure enough it has not had the problem once since. I guess the force going to full lean would cause the plug to lose connection and kill the ignition - Very frustrating.

11. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Which main plug are you speaking off?

12. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

I'm guessing that he's talking about where the PC plugs into the stock connectors. On our bikes, that's four plugs (as you know), but on some bikes, like my CBR929, it's one plug.

Gonna check those plugs to make sure they're snapped in, as my problem occurred in the same place on the track each time...over bumps. Thanks.

13. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

I checked all the plugs and they are on ok. Anyone thing else?

14. RocketRider911

RocketRider911 Well-Known Member

did you change the fuel filter?
    and why are you so low in the RPM's, way under the power curve on that bike, if your that low down shift.
    check all the connectors on the bike, including battery and the kickstand switch or how every you have that fixed.
    check your tipover sensor is mounted properly
    check you have a good connection, where the PC ties into a wire...the one connection they don't have a plug for.

15. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

I have been told to check the TPS! anyone know of this?

16. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Has anyone here heard of HERKY JERKY throttle problem?

17. SCOTT72081

SCOTT72081 Well-Known Member

Give huey at marietta motorsports a call i had the same problem and he fixed it perfect. 1-770-419-2525

18. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Yes. Some 06-07 gsxrs need the TPS adjusted away from the factory setting (mine included).

Basically it made the bike unrideable out of low speed corners until it was corrected. I dunno if that's your issue but it occurred occasionally when picking up the throttle. Also the bike would die on decel. For mine I had to ignore the factory specified voltage and eyeball it via the dash in dealer mode. Smooth as butter now. From the factory mine was _c00 at idle it should -c00. Some bikes seem to like it at the upper limit.

It made the bike feel like it was bogging when you hammered it out of corners or it was like an on off switch when you rolled on the throttle. Completely random. I had it happen on track and on the street many times and was actually close to selling the thing before I found the fix. Hope it fixes yours, its worth a shot.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=180878&highlight=herky+tps

19. EnvyCycles

EnvyCycles D.RoD

Got my problem solved...
    I really dont know which of the 2 did it but its gone now.
    1. Cut wire #30 on the ECU plug since the servo valve its gone.
    2. Put a R1 throtle tube.

I did these at he same time, so I dont know which one fixed it.

All I know is that its gone now.

Thanks for all suggestions.