1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Welcome back, Smokey!!!

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by RZ Racer, Jul 21, 2008.

1. RZ Racer

RZ Racer It passed tech LAST time!

...777 that is! After a 2 year hiatus, John Stauber returned to the f-500/v-3 scene on his rd400 and picked up right where he left off, finishing on the box in V-3 and leading for part of the f-500 race before a catching a false neutral and breaking a piston. :( Bad luck with the dnf, but I'm already at work looking for some parts and should be able to get him back together at least for the gnf, if not Summit...

Also, big props to Jim Hinshaw for finally outbraking me!:Poke: Jim played it smart, in both races, starting slowely and gradually dropping his lap times. In F-500, he just caught me on the last lap, last turn, wherupon he executed the classic block pass perfectly, taking his second win of the day.:beer:

My day could have gone better, as I spent most of it chasing my tail with jetting when I mis-diagnosed what ended up being a pinched sparkplug wire.:mad: Still, I'm thankfull to escape with a 1st and 2 seconds on a bike that was running properly for about 8 of the 18 laps under green! I finally got it running right for the f-500 race, but suffered from the lack of practice in the new section. (Both John and Jim mentioned making up emberrasingly large chunks of ground on me every time we went through there...) It wasn't until John passed me and went through there in front of me on L3 of the F-500 race that I realized how poorly I was going through there, and by then it was a little too late to do anything about it. At least the bike is running well now and should be all set for RRR!:cool:

2. hinshaw929

hinshaw929 Well-Known Member

Agreed, Big John was very impressive coming back from 2 years off. I passed him using Kawi power just before the kink and was surprised to find him passing me right back going into the next corner in a very cleanly executed move. Looking forward to some good battles in the future. :up:

By the way WERA gave me your dipstick/oil cooler on Sunday since you were already gone. PM me an address to send it to.

3. hinshaw929

4. RZ Racer

5. hinshaw929

6. RZ Racer

7. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

It was good to see Smokey, but he did forget to come see me Saturday dangit!!

8. Smoky777

Smoky777 Well-Known Member

Hi kids,

Just wanna say thanks for the good time this past weekend. Day-um it felt good to be back on the track... at speed! And it was good seeing those familiar faces and catching up on things, too. I had a great race in F500, even if abbreviated. Always feels like an accomplishment to be in front of MM, ha! And from what I saw this weekend, that JH is pretty quick, too! Can't wait to get back out there to mix it up with you guys again.

9. RZ Racer

Looks like the remote controlled exploding piston worked perfectly! I'll be sure to install another one in your new motor....:D

10. charles

charles The Transporter

A remote controlled exploding piston!:tut:

Jim Hinshaw guilty as charged!:wow:

Outbraking!:clap:

Classic Block Pass!:bow:

John Stauber!:eek:

Good thing I didn't attend, I don't know if
    I could have withstood all that excitement!

:beer:

11. stickboy274

stickboy274 Stick-a-licious Tire Dude

Thanks Smokey, I got your letter, but I have no idea what that was a picture of. Some sort of animal husbandry type stuff.