1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help us catch a thief

Discussion in 'General' started by Mongo, Jul 1, 2008.

1. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

2. RacerGirl117

RacerGirl117 Well-Known Member

Copy cat! :D :moon:

3. canalroadracing

canalroadracing Well-Known Member

sorry did't see it:eek:

4. nycstripes

nycstripes Meatball's Dad

Just curious, how did the theft(s) happen? Did this guy go into rider's trailers and help himself to the wallet(s)?

Maybe this will help prevent future incidents by knowing how this theif operates.
    Ken

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, walked into trailers/rv's and rifled through clothing.

6. Any word on that piece of shit yet?

7. wheedle

wheedle Well-Known Member

This sucks...all the trackdays and WERA events Ive been to, I never felt I had to worry about anything coming up missing... :mad:

8. Alwayslast179

Alwayslast179 Well-Known Member

i'm with this guy.
    there are tons of cameras at the airport
    use the camera footages tp find which terminal he ended up at and you can find the list of people on that flight, eliminate all the female passenger to start.
    heck, you maybe able to trace all his steps at the airport, all the way to the car that dropped him off at the airport, see a license plate number or a bike on a trailer with number plates........ maybe worth a try.

9. GoodKnight

GoodKnight Well-Known Member

I'm assuming the authorities have been contacted already? Credit card theft is not something they take lightly. I know on another board, a thief was caught using videos taken from the scene and working with the local authorities.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The authorities are who got the video.

11. etdweasel

etdweasel Running-Dog Lackey

Not gonna help.

My wife's cards all are signed "Check Photo I.D."

Her purse was stolen a couple years ago, out of her car (yeah, I know, dumb Dumb DUMB!!!) about 7:00 pm in a restaurant parking lot. By 7:15 the thief had bought a tank of gas. At 7:40 he was refused at Wal-Mart. Twice. Then he hit Best Buy. He spent just over FOUR FRIGGIN' GRAND! When I called Best Buy to ask how they could sell a 19 year old male $4200 dollars worth of stuff on a credit card registered to a person named "Joyce" I was told they are NOT PERMITTED, by corporate policy, to check any IDs or question any card that is current and not reported stolen. Of course not. They get their sale, credit card company reimburses me, no harm, no foul, right? I no longer shop Best Buy...

And, for all the Wally World haters, note THEY, at least this time, did the right thing. AND they provided the police with really nice vid of the kid. I LOVE Wal-Mart...

Ride safe,

Chuck

12. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I have said it before, but I don't understand why all cc transactions aren't PIN based. That would cut out a huge portion of cc fraud. I mean, I know it would take some effort to implement, but I cant' imagine that it's cheaper just to deal with the fraud.

On a side note, I went to Home Depot last week and spent around $2800 on our Home Depot card. When I got to the register, I took out the card, swiped it, put it back in my pocket, and that was that. Later on, I looked in my wallet for something else and realized that I didn't have my card in my wallet, it was my wife's (same acct). Nobody checked or cared that the card had a woman's name on it.

13. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I've thought this too just so I don't have to sign shit. Sounds like a great idea to me. I don't think it would be hard these days to implement. The same machine is used for Visa check cards and they require PIN number unless they are run as credit. I would think it would just be a software thing plus the credit card companies would have to send out PIN numbers.

14. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

I'm always asked for the card at Home Depot but mine is our corporate card so they always as for a PO number. They always ask to see my AMEX card to get that security number off of it. I don't think they pay attention to the sig.

15. LVDJC

LVDJC Well-Known Member

A possible Idea

Hi Sean, Dave Correa here in Vegas. One of the guys in an earlier post mentioned video taping the entrance to the tracks. Why can't we do that? When they come in we could have a video camera on a tri-pod at the entrance that would capture both licence plate and driver upon entry and even ask for ID when they pay and either photo copy it or just record the name or even flash it in front of the video camera for a record of it. It might take a little more time to get each guy in but to me that is worth it if it deters would be thiefs and makes them think twice knowing they are on film. Especially in Vegas where there is only one way in and there is power in that booth. I would even be willing to supply my old camcorder and help get the initial rush of guys showing up through the gate. Dave C

16. iomTT

iomTT Well-Known Member

This thread is brilliant! Hope you all catch the piece of shit

17. Big_J

Big_J Parts Pimp in Training

Trust me if the Guy is Smart enough to make it to all the Events where do you think he gets his information from. I am willing to bet that Thefts will now drop greatly and he will not be seen again. To much info was shared in this thread. It should have been handled a little different. Just think about everything that has been said in this thread and now think about it with the understanding that there is a great chance he has read every word of it.

18. forceten

forceten Well-Known Member

Won't work though. My company takes credit cards....... but over the phone for deliveries. We are not allowed to take debit cards over the phone because we are not allowed to ask for pin numbers and enter them in ourselves. So while making all credit cards pin numbers for signatures would work for face to face transactions, there wouldn't be a way to do it for mail order or orders placed over the phone.

We do address verification is the best we can do. The delivery address must match the address on the card.

19. PolishPete

PolishPete Well-Known Member

I think I may have gone over this before in this thread, maybe not, but I'll do it again to prove the point.

Wal-Mart did not do their job, and Best Buy did. Sounds weird, I know, but doing anything to the card other than signing it voids the card. Check ID voids the card, and should not have been taken. In the agreement terms between VISA / MC / AMEX, etc. They tell the vendors they are NOT allowed to ask for ID when someone uses a CC, and that the signature on the card and receipt is enough to prove their identity. I went through this with a company I once worked for, where if the card wasn't signed, we were to not take it, the person could sign it in front of us, and then we could take it. I know, not smart, but it is what it is. So blaming Best Buy for the "Check ID" thing isn't appropriate...and saying Wal-Mart did good isn't aswell. However, Best Buy should have checked the name on card and matched the signatures. That's the protocl.

20. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

When I was 17 I worked as a checker as Best Buy for about 3 months (gawd did that suck). Anyhow, the Best Buy policy (at least it was 12 years ago) is that if anyone uses a CC, you check the signature on the back to make sure it matches the one written by the customer. If it's not signed, they have to sign it in front of you and show I.D. and then you can take it. CC companies will refuse charges from people who don't sign cards, therefore they ALL have to be signed. If someone does the bright thing of writing "check ID" they still have to sign it AND show ID. If they refuse to sign it employees are to refuse the card as BB doesn't want to be liable for any chargebacks.

Some people got PISSED at this policy and because of that we had laminated sheets with letters from the CC companies (on their letterhead) explaining the policy. If someone was still pissed,we were told to offer them a phone so that they can speak with their CC company and hash it out with them.

The short version is it's not BB that cares so much as it is the CC companies, they want to make sure that EVERY card is signed.