1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

02 Tacoma TRD towing a trailer?

Discussion in 'General' started by shift96, Jul 21, 2008.

1. shift96

shift96 Well-Known Member

Anybody tow a 6x10 with an 02 Tacoma? My question is my truck is rated to pull 5000lbs but I hear that I need to install a trans cooler and a different color (I have a red one) clutch fan? I have an auto. Seems weird that the truck is rated to pull tow 5000lbs but the trans is not equipped to to this? I would think it's ready to go as is if it is rated for that. Thanks

2. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

First, make sure what your vehicles towing rating is...

1. Open the driver door and look for the sticker with the VIN number on it. Below the VIN should be a "Model Model" should be 5 letters with a dash and another 5 letters afterward.
    2. Find the manual for the vehicle and look for the towing rating. You will need this "Model Code" to find the max towing.

3. shift96

It says the GVWR is 5100lbs.

4. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have the clutch fan (green shaft) and the TRD trans cooler on my '02 Tacoma 3.4l V6. It struggles to pull anything:rolleyes: No heat related issues with the transmission. Unless in drive it will hunt all over the place with a empty 5x10 open trailer. The truck just is not built to pull anything long distances using overdrive. In drive it gets 12 mpg:eek: I just do not pull trailers anymore unless I have too. Bike in the back and I roll at 18~19 mpg.;) The heavy duty fan makes alot of noise in stop and go traffic which is good since it is cooling and the AC works better but for towing the truck just ain't got the torque. If you can afford 12 mpg it'll do it but IMO you might as well have a big V8 truck then.

YMMV

5. shift96

Where exactly is the clutch fan. I need to confirm what color I have. Thought I had a red.

6. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

Behind the clutch fan the shaft that goes to the pulley. Fan is about $130+/-.

7. shift96

The shaft is green. Guess I'm good to go:up:

8. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) is the maximum allowable weight of the truck, with all fluids, passengers, etc. That would include the tongue weight on the hitch. It is not the same as maximum towing capacity.

9. cjimenRR

cjimenRR Well-Known Member

actually if your truck is not equipped with the tow package it can only haul 3500lbs, with the tow package you can handle 6000lbs. Easiest way is to look if you have a "small" radiator behind your hood grill, if you do than it already has a tow package. If you do buy the tow package at your Toyota parts store i belive it comes with the new fan clutch

10. shift96

I'll take a look but it already has the green fan clutch. Thanks man

11. cjimenRR

cjimenRR Well-Known Member

fan clutch isnt/should'nt be the main concern, its actually keeping the trans. fluid tempature down. If all else fails get your self a generic trans cooler and rig it up

12. gothicbeast

gothicbeast Back by court order

I would double check the fan clutch is the upgraded towing type.

The Pre-Runner with the towing package should pull 6000lbs.

Remember it's best to put as much gear into the trailer as possible. The well known rule of thumb is, 10% of the weight in the trailer is transferred to the hitch. The reverse is also true, if you put 100lbs in the truck, it's equal to adding 1000lb's to the trailer. The reason is, most GCW ratings for trucks equals the truck weight, driver, fuel and the trailer weight.
    If you have a 6000lb trailer, then your truck is carrying 600lbs on the hitch. Your rear axle may be close to being over loaded. if you add another 100'bs in the bed of the truck, you need to pull 100lbs off the trailer tongue weight. That means you need to take about 1000lbs out of the trailer.

Don't forget a good trailer brake for your truck... I like the Tekonsha P3 trailer brake. :)

13. Geoff Doyer

Geoff Doyer Well-Known Member

I used to have an 02 trd w/ a 5 speed and towed a 5x10 and 6x12 on occasion. I didn't have anything added to it other than the tow package. The stick would get really hot on hot days that's about all I know. I used to beat the snot out of it - towing at about 80mph. Never had a problem except a lack of power. That was the good old days of $2 a gallon gas though. Upgraded to the new Tundra so no more worries.

14. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Treats objects like women

My Ranger towed a 6x10 with no problems at all. Complete with tool box and three bikes (Heavy Cruisers)from Buffalo to Albany.

15. shift96

16. Jesse

Jesse Active Member

Done the same on my 2000. Fully loaded in the pickup bed + chock-a-block full 2 axle 6x12 trailer that was filled with two bikes and gear, furntiure and files - basically everything I own. Passenger seat and extended cab was full too. For 1600 miles - 6 times. You can beat the sh*t out of these trucks.

I never added a thing. If you add some of that towing stuff, i owuldnt hesitate. I have the 6 cylnder - if you have the four, you will have a tougher time.

My stick shift lever got real hot too. But it always seems to.

17. jeepskate99

jeepskate99 Treats objects like women

I should have mentioned that the GVWR is similar on the Ranger.

18. shift96

Thanks! I may keep this 6x10.