1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I learned so much from Greg White today

Discussion in 'General' started by Pepe Le Ghey Pew, Jul 20, 2008.

1. darylbowden

darylbowden Well-Known Member

racing-underground.com

2. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

aww, look everyone, we just got an internet ass beating. We better STFU! :crackup:

3. antirich

antirich Well-Known Member

I see why they have to 'dumb it down' at bit, and I'm sure the teleprompter is saying "hey, greg, talk about the gear they have on". They way some of those comments came out of no where, it sounded like a producer was directing him.

I really wish they do a split screen or a one minute tech focus before each commercial. I believe NASCAR used to do this, just a moment to ficus on the car's technology and such, rather than interrupt the flow of the announcers. Plus, I bet the average weekend rider has no clue on how different these bikes are, would be nice to focus on the behind-the-scenes stuff.

There's no excuse for the name mispronunciations. Greg's suppose to be into the sport, an ex-racer, and works for a channel that broadcasts this stuff. It's not like he's just been pulled from car racing like some of the other announcers.

I also liked the guy they had reporting form the pits. I forget his name, but he way good. Very professional.

I kind of liked the excitement level of Greg, and this race deserved it. Other races, maybe not so much.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

go take your meds:D :beer:

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I got to watch the last third or so of the race before we left CMP and no matter what all of you holier than thou morons (yeah, nice term when applied to you huh?) think, they did a fantastic job. Explaining things they did was perfect and necessary for the network.

As for those bitching about G's announcing - hit the mute button because it was great. You bunch of fucking crybabies really do need to grow up or just quit tuning in.

6. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

I think Greg did a great job! :up:

7. 45° Please

45° Please Large Member

Definition of a Good announcer:

an·nounc·er (ə-noun'sər) pronunciation
    n.

Primarily British, Australian or Kiwi. Usually found in MotoGP, SBK or F1. One that announces and informs with concise intellect and savvy.
    a. Varies pitch and tone.
    b. Does not scream for more than 2 seconds at a time.

Ant. see AMA

8. LiveLikeYrDyin

LiveLikeYrDyin Well-Known Member

I think Greg White is doing an excellent job! I look forward to watching every race he announces.

9. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

I think "great" is a strong word...Chris Carter is great. But, Greg is doing a good job and exceeding expectations, and I stand by my previous statement that if he continues to get his shot in this way so that he can gain experience, he'l become great in time. He has the tools...just needs experience.

BTW he's already better by half than Ralph.

10. TSWebster

TSWebster Well-Known Member

Ya bunch of nattering nabobs of negativity.
    Steve

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Of course Dave.

12. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

As soon as I heard Greg's comment about the clutch I was expecting to see this thread.

I thought Greg and Kevin did a great job.

13. Scott T

Scott T Well-Known Member

Couldn't stand GW. Turned off the race after 7 laps. Looked up results on RRW later. No reason for the over exuberance. He doesn't need to yell about everything

14. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

my wife even complained about the announcing, and she cant stand to watch GP....(finds it boring or something like that)

15. Cawk Star

Cawk Star Well-Known Member

I think Robbie Floyd should have been calling the race with Schwantz. Greg White does not belong calling a race. Send him back to the pits.

16. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

all i can say is that was an embarassment for the US GP

17. frackadelic

frackadelic Buddha Stalin is Chronic

As far as the content, I liked the fact that Greg took the time to point out some simple basics of motorcycle racing. There's so many times I try to get friends to watch and feel like I have to explain everything to them. I really think that this would have been the PERFECT race, both racing and commentary for a first time viewer :up: That said, I'm not sure what bothers me about GW. Even my GF last night said "wtf is this guy's problem?". Maybe it's simply that a euro/autralian accent just naturally sounds more exciting. They said 'side by side' last night and it didn't bother me. But hey, MotoGP was on CBS, so I'm not going to complain.

18. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

and i realize we all shouldnt be complaining........we have moto gp on a national network.............BUT this isnt NASCAR you cant go to commercial break and not miss anything like NASCAR

we missed about 11 laps of a 32 lap race and they didnt even go through the starting grid in the beginning just started the race right away.........i prefer the way SPEED shows the races and I prefer their commentary

19. brand-o

brand-o Well-Known Member

If anyone here had to talk for an hour straight and only said three stupid things then they'd deserve a gold medal or purple heart or something. I think Greg and Kevin did an excellent job... Greg's enthusiasm paired well with Kevin's calm matter-of-factness. Sure, I snickered a bit at the clutch comment but at least it was entertaining. :)

20. Phat Chance

Phat Chance Silence, I kill you!

+1 for Greg. Personally, a toned down version would suit me better but Damn, not too bad for his first GP job. I'm sure he was excited and I would have been so excited that nothing intellengent would have been uttered from these lips. Try doing the job yourself before you throw him under the bus.

+2 for Kevin. Most folks in the racing world know that he is a former World Champion but he doesn't remind us every 2 minutes that he is. The other thing that I like about Kevin is that at least he speaks in full sentences. I noticed that Kevin didn't call it Modur-GP.The pair made the show interesting with Kevins low key approach and Greg's "Mr. Excitement" rantings.

+3 for CBS. We have all been screaming for more coverage of the sport and I'm grateful that they are covering it. If we don't support CBS, They won't cover it next year. It is up to us to spread the word and get as many TV's tuned in to the races so that the ratings are higher! That is the only thing that will get us more coverage. TV is business and ratings are everything.

+4 Lorenzo, Man that has to be the most air I've ever seen. I hope he figures out that bike before it breaks every bone in his body.

+5 I'm Proud to be an American! Thankful that we can watch increadable events like this from the comfort of our homes. Or, show up and watch it in person.

-10 Some of you guys would bitch even if you were hung with a new rope.