1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Racing 2 Save Lives charity track day at VIR, Aug 11-14!

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by rforsythe, Jul 17, 2008.

1. rforsythe

rforsythe Member

Hey all, I'm the VP for this great organization and wanted to let everyone know about our track day event at VIR, Aug 11-14 to raise money for children's charities! Four days of riding, nine hours a day (8:30am to 6:30pm with an hour break for lunch) on the South Course sounds good to any track day junkie, but we even have free instruction from a top-notch team of rider coaches to help riders of ALL skill levels get out and enjoy themselves!

I've also confirmed today that factory Yamaha racer Jason DiSalvo will be there a couple days riding around with you guys, and we're even auctioning off two private One-on-One sessions with JD on the 12th and 13th, where you get the entire track to yourselves for an hour for personal mentoring, as fast as you want to go! Those auctions will go live on our website on Monday the 21st.

We'll also have a great silent auction at the event to raise even more money for charity, where you can score some good deals and nice stuff!

The whole press release is here:
    http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?article=33299

Or you can always PM me with questions or whatever.

You can sign up online at our website: http://www.racing2savelives.org

See you at the track!

2. forks101

forks101 Well-Known Member

I wil be there on the fourteenth. Looking forward to a great day of riding.

3. pefrey

pefrey Well-Known Member

Your website indicates that you raised $30 for Childrens Charities at your first event. I hope that is a typo.

4. rforsythe

rforsythe Member

Haha, oops. Yep that's a typo, that's what happens when your web person volunteers at the event and gets no sleep.

At Miller we were able to give away $30,000 to children's charities. :)

5. oneraptor

oneraptor Well-Known Member

Which track configuration will be used at VIR? Is there a limit to how many bikes will be allowed on track at a time? Will sessions be devided based on skill/experiance or bike type/size?

6. rforsythe

rforsythe Member

We'll be on the South Course. We will limit bikes in the interest of safety, yes - off the top of my head I can't remember how much but probably around 40 or so at a time.

We divide sessions based on "race" or "street", which isn't a hard delineation but more a guideline on rider skill levels. We've had some racers who are really slow, and street guys who are comfortable with faster passing and higher speed in general. We do allow people to move between groups once (and then back if they decide it was a mistake, once) after a rider coach observes them and agrees that they should be moved. We don't break it up on bike size, since corner speed and lap time is really more about rider skill anyway.

Let me know if you have any more questions!

7. rforsythe

rforsythe Member

8. mountain lion

mountain lion Well-Known Member

Can we fill out registration, pay, and set up in the paddock the afternoon before the day we're scheduled to ride?

9. rforsythe

rforsythe Member

You can set up the day before, sure. Track Registration (including paying) opens at 7am each day of the event, so you should still have plenty of time to get through that. Please also make sure your radiator cap is accessible when going through tech the first time (also opens at 7am each day), as we do dip the fluid to make sure antifreeze or other Glycol-based additive hasn't found its way in there.

Registering online does save you some money (assuming you aren't donating more than the minimum) as well as time at registration at the track, but we'll get you taken care of either way.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2008
  10. RoadracingGirl

RoadracingGirl Well-Known Member

Be there...

Can't wait for R2SL! I had a blast the last few years riding with everyone and can't wait for the August event. It is a great opportunity for tracktime and to give back to the community and more.
    If you haven't signed up yet, do so!

See y'all there!

Jessica Zalusky

11. rforsythe

rforsythe Member

Thanks to everyone who came out and rode! With everyone's help and generosity, we were able to give away $16,000 to children's charities from this event.

We had such a great time at VIR that we're already making plans to come back next year at the same time (the week before the AMA Big Kahuna). As soon as the AMA announces dates, we'll know ours. I hope to see you all out there again for that!

I also want to extend a heartfelt thank you to the volunteers that came out to put this thing on, not the least of which the coaches from Cornerspeed and TPM who came out on their own dime to keep the track safe. Our events are totally volunteer-based, and simply would not happen without the hard efforts of so many dedicated people.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2008