Jesse Helms died today

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Shenanigans, Jul 4, 2008.

1. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

thought some of you guys would like to know

2. FastRR

FastRR Well-Known Member

Bummer, but at least he lived a full life and is probably in heaven now.

Kinda cool he passed on the 4th... i mean if you had to pick a day.

3. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

Good man,he will be missed.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Good man???:Puke: :moon: :confused: :down: :mad: :tut:

The same redneck SOB that whistled Dixie at the "negra" employees in his building?? The same sorry redneck bastard that used the word "negra" all the way into the 80's??? Hopefully all of the "good ol boys" are on their way out. Good riddance. The dude was an embarrassment to NC.

Maybe folks do not know that Helms dedicated himself to work AGAINST civil rights. He denounced the Sit Ins in Greensboro (my hometown) as a crime. He advocated the use of police dogs, firehoses and the National Guard against the "negras" in the 1960s!

The man was completely against Integration. COMPLETELY. He called Martin Luther King "The Most Violent Man in the World".

To his credit he did champion bills for US aid to the HIV epidemic in Africa. But a big part of his aversion to fighting HIV previously came from his outright hatred of Gays. Yeah, he hated gays too. This is one of the dudes that initially called HIV a "gay disease" and felt it wasn't worth fighting. He seemed to mellow from that as well in his later days. Maybe he realized its not just those dirty gay people dying from the disease? Better late than never?

Let there be no mistake the man was a blatant racist throughout his career. He wanted blacks kept segregated and and to stay in their place. He hated gays. In fact its safe to say he didn't care for anything that wasn't white and Christian. Maybe that's a legacy some folks admire.

5. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Rest in Peace asshole. Notable quotes from this great man:

"Seldom a day passes by when there's not another lawmaker coming up with some new idea which would further destroy parental authority in our land," he said in a speech kicking off his 1990 re-election campaign. "Just think about it: homosexuals, lesbians, disgusting people marching in our streets demanding all sorts of things, including the right to marry each other and the right to adopt children. How do you like them apples?"

In columns, commentaries and pronouncements from the Senate floor, Helms sowed hatred and called names: The University of North Carolina was "the University of Negroes and Communists." (Capital Times, 11/22/94) Black civil rights activists were "Communists and sex perverts." (Copley News Service, 8/23/01)

Of civil rights protests Helms wrote, "The Negro cannot count forever on the kind of restraint that's thus far left him free to clog the streets, disrupt traffic, and interfere with other men's rights." (WRAL-TV commentary, 1963) He also wrote, "Crime rates and irresponsibility among Negroes are a fact of life which must be faced." (New York Times, 2/8/81)

Over the years Helms has declared homosexuality "degenerate," and homosexuals "weak, morally sick wretches." (Newsweek, 12/5/94) In a tirade highlighting his routine opposition to AIDS research funding, Helms lashed out at the Kennedy-Hatch AIDS bill in 1988: "There is not one single case of AIDS in this country that cannot be traced in origin to sodomy." (States News Service, 5/17/88)

Helms remonstrated ten female members of the House of Representatives to "act like ladies" when they interrupted a Senate Foreign Relations Committee hearing to demand support of a U.N. treaty against gender discrimination, and subsequently had them removed from the hearing by Capitol police. (St. Louis Post-Dispatch, 10/28/99)

And the man ABC News now describes as a "conservative icon" (8/22/01) in 1993 sang "Dixie" in an elevator to Carol Moseley-Braun, the first African-American woman elected to the Senate, bragging, "I'm going to make her cry. I'm going to sing Dixie until she cries." (Chicago Sun-Times, 8/5/93)

More recently, when a caller to CNN's Larry King Live show praised guest Jesse Helms for "everything you've done to help keep down the niggers," Helms' response was to salute the camera and say, "Well, thank you, I think." (Wilmington Star-News, 9/16/95)

Finally, Helms' strong if sometimes shadowy support for violent, anti-democratic forces abroad, from South Africa to El Salvador, might have given media outlets further pause in describing him as a mere conservative; few probed his ties to groups that would more accurately be described as fascist. One exception was an editorial in the Boston Globe (8/23/01): "Helms' role in supporting foreign thugs such as Roberto D'Aubuisson, the cashiered Salvadoran major who ran death squads responsible for savage political murders, did lasting harm to America's good name. In South Africa, Argentina, Mozambique, Honduras, and Nicaragua, Helms cooperated with racists and fascists who have nothing in common with the ideals of American democracy."

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  6. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Stuff like this keeps my strong faith in religion alive. :D

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Furthermore, Jesse Helms could NOT dance.:D

8. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

This reminds me of the Family Guy episode where it's the Rapture, and everyone is gone, and the only two people that DON'T go to heaven are Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson. One turns to the other and says, "I don't understand, we hated all the right people....."

9. HPPT

HPPT !!!

:crackup:

10. MrOgle

MrOgle I love college!

Is this a plug to gain post-humous support for Jesse Helms?

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Jesse Helms was responsible for most of the Democrat votes I cast in my life.

12. Marc Camp

Well my liberal minded friend he helped my mom get my social security payments started when the goverment would not declare him dead so i would say he,s a hell of a guy.:moon:

13. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Mr. Camp,I'm probably the only person on the BBS with an award from the White House Communications Department for exceptional "service in support of the President" (That's George W. Bush). Its on my end table.

Social security payments? I thought that's what liberals rely on, government handouts. Your mom is a liberal:crackup: .

According to Captain Camp despising redneck racist assholes = liberal. Well I'll be damned, learn something new everyday. Seriously dude did you miss out on the entry exams or the tuition?

Oh, do you have one of these?

[​IMG]

14. 999

999 Well-Known Member

Livin' off the government? :Puke:

Why don't ya get a job you comuniss.

15. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

fixed it for ya

he meant when he was under 18 and his father died:(

16. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Mr. Camp my condolences for your family. No disrespect intended.

PS:Still can't believe you called me a Liberal. That hurt:( .

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  17. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Holy shit... you're the Presidents Audiovisual Club Nerd. :D

Seriously though, I agree with what you said about Helms. A friend of mine was a Young Republican in North Carolina while in high school and active while at NC State. He was a fairly redneck conservative too and he didn't like Helms and he actually worked with his staff during summer break back in the early 80s. He said it was a real eye opener to see what Helms was really like.

18. Marc Camp

Its cool.Maybe liberal was a little strong for sure.Sorry about that:beer:

19. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

steeltoe is a liberaltarian. :D

20. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Actually I'm a pastafarian!