SV 650 H.P. G1 vs. G2

Discussion in 'Tech' started by cspencer123, Jul 3, 2008.

1. cspencer123

cspencer123 250R Must pedal faster

If doing a SS build can a G1 make as much hp as a G2?

2. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

if the 2nd gen has a ss build too, then no. a good ss build on a 1st gen will probably give you in the low 70's. a stock 2nd gen can do that easily.

3. cspencer123

Ya, thats what I was trying to ask.

Is it the FI or are there other differences that make more power?

4. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

dont know exactly. i'm not that much of a motorhead. i just ride the bikes. :D

but i do know the rods are lighter, they rev a little higher, little higher compression.

5. cspencer123

Ya, me neither. And at 50 yrs. old I do OK riding them, this would be for my son though.

We'll give it a try and see what it does on the track, can't afford a new bike till this winter.

BTW, thanks for the loan of the clutch arm

6. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

Having owned both, my take is this: if I already had a nicely built SS 1st gen, I'd just ride it and not worry about it. If I had a stock one, and I was considering having the motor built, I'd rather sell it, buy a 2nd gen, and either just ride it, or if I had the budget, have it built instead.

7. kayaker43

kayaker43 Active Member

I think the real power difference is in the cams, not the FI. There's a popular cam swap where you use the gen1 exh cam on the intake side and the Gen2 exhaust cam. (verify this first) Its a cheap upgrade that should get a Gen1 to exceed the stock Gen2 Hp by a few.

Ive heard the stock HP to be around 63 vs 67 but the cam swap should bring either Gen into the low 70's

8. motobum

motobum Well-Known Member

but that would not make it SS legal, right?

9. cspencer123

Ya, if its legal that would probably make it closer.

Anyone know if swapping parts from the same bike but different model yrs. is SS legal?

I read where the FI models have higher lift and longer duration.

10. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

its not legal.