1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Running different tires

Discussion in 'Tech' started by gripped, Jun 16, 2008.

1. gripped

gripped Well-Known Member

Hey I have a stupid question, I just bought an R6 with slicks, the front looks great but the rear needs to be replaced. Is it a really bad idea to run a slick up front and a power race on the rear?
    Thanks

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

Are you racing it? if so, what classes? cause running a slick my DQ you.

Also, what brand is the slick?

3. gripped

Its a Michelin slick, and I will just be using it for track day

4. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

A tire expert will have to speak up, but are they basically the same grip/compound?

5. mikendzel

mikendzel Anonymous

I'm not a tire guy, but I think with a slick up front you're fine. If you have a slick on the rear and DOT up front, trouble is on your horizon.

6. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

why? do the tires not perform independently?

7. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

not sure about the Michelin's but the Dunlop slick is a larger size, front and rear, than the DOT's. Run one of each, front or rear, and the geometry of the bike will be different (which depending on how fast you are might/might not make a difference on how the bike handles.)

8. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Not sure but if he's asking this question then he's probably not at the point where the minor geometry change would be a big issue. ;)

9. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

:crackup: i know, John, but i figured he at least should know why someone would NOT do it. (i personally wouldnt).

10. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

I ran a 17" DOT up front and a 16.5" michelin rear recently and crashed & while this could be atributed to a variety of factors (not enough heat in that fat slick in the back perhaps being the most relevant one) the first thing that comes to mind is that a rear slick has so much traction that it'll push the front wide in turns. Michelin guru, Walt, told me that the best results they've had while testing on a 600rr (for instance) was with a 16.5" front slick and a 17" rear DOT. The front steers quicker and offers a bit more grip while the rear will not push the front. Also on a 600, the extra weight and grip of a meaty slick makes it impossible to spin up the tire and hence folks who steer with the throttle may not be big fans... just my thoughts but honestly I've no definitive idea.

11. gripped

Thanks

Hey thanks for all of the info, much appreciated :up:

12. Kris87

Kris87 Friendly Smartass

i won a bunch of races last year using a dot front and a rear slick when i didnt feel like replacing the front. i've ran a rain front and dot rear plenty of times(which i'm sure a lot of racers have done). barring any geometry changes, it doesnt really matter.