1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebay special Michelin slicks???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by hrvat2, Jun 11, 2008.

1. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

I got some of these along with a purchase of 16.5" wheels, and while they've never been used, I think they're so old I'm questioning the wisdom of running these even for a trackday. Funds $$ on the other hand are weighing in the other direction...

Front:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

If you've used some of these "ebay special" tires, any input is appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

IG

2. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

looks like they were made the 66th week in 05 do they have a shelf life?

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

i have used these tires recently, and they worked pretty darn well. Have 8 more rears as a matter of fact that im using that were purchased from motorace.com

4. YamRZ350

YamRZ350 Nicorette Dependent

Huh?

5. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

Theres only 52 weeks in a year.

6. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

Awesome :up:
    I actually crashed using these for the first time (rear let go while leaned over), but being honest I did not have them on the warmers long enough (15 mins) and had picked up the pace a couple of laps in.

I'll give them a shot; what kind of pressures are you running F/R?

Thanks,

IG

7. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

I had asked Quentin to comment on these and his reply amounted to
    1) Can't find the codes in the record that's how old
    2) Use them at own risk
    which made me worry a bit.
    I got a set of Pirelli Superbike slicks as a result but will be using those on Sunday :) The Michelin's I'd like to use for Friday practice/set-up.

8. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

:crackup:

9. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

the date stamp is usually in an oval "box." it will only be 4 digits - week, then year. the numbers you photo'd are obviously not the right ones. it'll look like this. sometimes (on b-stones) there might be a few letters before it. still in an oval box though - at least what i've seen.

Attached Files:

10. Captain Squid

Captain Squid Well-Known Member

Yup, dunflops are the same just a 4 digit number. Week made followed by year

11. dusty20

dusty20 #97 North Central Ex.

yea sorry i even confused myself on that one :confused: I guess thats what sitting in a cubical day after day will do to you.

12. rubberman

rubberman Well-Known Member

The 06-6605-01 number is actually the mold tooling number for the sidewall portion of the tire.

66th week of 05 was the best guess so far :D

13. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

Here are ALL the #'s from the front and rear:

Front:
    is a S1315A compound
    Michelin Pilot
    12/60-420
    EV-78 06-6605-01

Rear:
    SC1916A 19/67-420
    F14351BJ
    Made in France
    EW 125 06-3584-01

And here is Q-man's reply to my inquiry with the above noted information provided for his consideration:

Should I be scared? :)

14. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

Anyone else wants to take a guess based on the info above? :)

15. MELK-MAN

30-31/front.. and 28-29 rear psi on down here in the hot FL weather. Might use 26-27. Should go up 5psi from cold temp to off track hot temp. I made the mistake of using 22psi rear once like the newer tires use and it got hot and greasy.
    I have used em a few times, and Mike Rouleau down here is going real fast on his 1000 with em. THey are pretty much good for 1 six lap race if that if they are the super softs i have. Stoe smead of motorace was selling them, not Quentin. They are pretty darn old.. but for $35/per TIRE what the hell!!!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  16. hrvat2

hrvat2 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info Greg :up:
    I've used nothing but DOTs previously and so let me ask you this: how long do you bake them and on what temp? These buns have some meat on 'em...

17. Jamesm925

Jamesm925 Well-Known Member

umm...
    i thought there are 52 weeks in a year? :confused:

18. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

Send an email to Michelin and see....they could be one offs from MotoGP (seen this before on 16.5" slicks)

19. MELK-MAN

i use teh warmers like normal.. 150deg front and 180deg or so rear. Try to heat em for 20min or so, but it is usually pretty hot here to begin with. They are pretty good size rear tires.

20. Dano506

Dano506 Well-Known Member

maybe....

It's a very strong possibility those are supersoft(like qualifying tires) for a GP bike. Iv'e seen that "EV" # befor and with the strict tire rules with the GP teams this is a way to keep track of the tires.

Like said above they are probably only gonna be good for 6 maybe 7 laps tops and should also be heated to about 10 degree's hotter than usual tires.

Also.......depending on how they were stored, if they are infact really old, can make a big difference. If they were stored in a warm dry place the whole time they will be fine, but if they are constantly heating and cooling they have "gased" alot and will probably only be good for flattracking by now!

Last edited: Jun 13, 2008